• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

variac ac power transformers

henry jr

Sep 16, 2009
i have several elkin tube amps. want to soft start them up.can you use a variac with more amps then the fuse in the elkin? never had a variac before.they go from 3 amps to 20 amps in the book.what size do i need to get.i was told you had to use a smaller variac amp than what the fuse size in the elkin was.HELP:cry:

Say that backwards and then you would be correct. Just as you would do so when choosing a power supply, you need to use a Variac (autotransformer) that has a maximum load rating in terms of AC current or power (KVA), that exceeds that which is required by the device(s) that you will be supplying power to.

...and also be sure to keep a good eye on your Variac output voltage. It is a good idea to use a multimeter, because line voltages can vary quite a bit. This is especially true during the Summer months when the power company is trying to manage peak hour power demands.

Also be sure to check your variac dial scale when reading voltage output to get an idea of where you get 120V output with 120V input. One of the two variacs that I just purchased this month was manufactured in Japan. It is a very nice 5 amp variac, however it is rated at 130V maximum output with 100V input. So when I crank the variac dial to the maximum of 130V, I am seeing an output of 165V!. Just like Dirty Harry said, "A man has gotta know his limitations"

Good Luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.