• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint XL-150 new to me tube amp...noob questions.

snippits75

Nov 11, 2019
Just recently bought the Varmint amp from a gent that I made friends with on the CB radio. It has been modified by a local amp builder. It has one 6KV6 driving two 6N45C Russian tubes. The Russian tubes can be bought for reasonable prices, so I think that's why the amp was modded.

I looked at a tube database, and the preferred substitute for a 6KV6 is a 6JG6. What should I expect if I did use 6JG6 as a substitute for a 6KV6? Is it just plug and play or what?

If the need arises to change tubes, what's the best way to go about it, so I don't end up six feet under? Of course I will unplug the AC power cord!

http://worldtubecompany.com/mm5/mer...de=WTC&Product_Code=6N45CN&Category_Code=1N-N

The difference between the KV6 vs JG6 will be a "Slight" amount of drive to the other tubes.
The KV6 has a plate dissipation of 24 watts...JG6 of 17 watts with a MAXIMUM Drive of 3.5 watts for either tube.
This is a low drive amp! Not built for radio with wild swing or high power.

EX: a radio with like 2 watts dead key and a swing of 20 watts out is a NONO!
This amp was built in the days when radios put out like 3 watts with a forward modulation to like 5 watts.

Reactions: Tokin
Yes, first unplug then discharge the filter capacitor(s) preferably with a discharge stick and use a meter to confirm discharge. Do not touch the tube glass with your bare hands as it leaves oils behind and cleaning the tube with anything more than a cotton cloth will remove all markings. I like to use clean cotton gloves or a clean sock in a pinch. Very gently rock the tube while gently pulling up to remove.
I dont think you will see any difference in changing one tube. Your best bet is to compare price, availability and data sheets.
Thats my 2¢. Other opinions may vary

Reactions: BJ radionut
http://worldtubecompany.com/mm5/mer...de=WTC&Product_Code=6N45CN&Category_Code=1N-N

The difference between the KV6 vs JG6 will be a "Slight" amount of drive to the other tubes.
The KV6 has a plate dissipation of 24 watts...JG6 of 17 watts with a MAXIMUM Drive of 3.5 watts for either tube.
This is a low drive amp! Not built for radio with wild swing or high power.

EX: a radio with like 2 watts dead key and a swing of 20 watts out is a NONO!
This amp was built in the days when radios put out like 3 watts with a forward modulation to like 5 watts.
Absofreakinlutely...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned