• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vertical Coaxial Dipole

Bow

Bastard Modulation Engineering
Aug 13, 2008
SouthWest AZ
reverendbow.wordpress.com
Hey gents...

I'm looking at building a fairly Low Profile (lower profile than the Maco V-5000 and the 50' push-up pole I used at my old house) for 11 meters.

The wife is pretty hard against me putting up anything big, so I am looking for something low profile.

I was thinking of building a Coaxial Dipole with 9'-10' of copper 1" pipe, coax running up the center, then soldering a cap on the top with a stud mount and screwing a 102" whip on the top.

I biggest problem would be mounting it high enough where it won't be... "ugly" (her words, not mine)...

The other Idea was a simple 102" whip and make a ground plane...

Or 2 - 102" whips for just a standard dipole

I don't have any trees close to the house, which sucks because I have for 50+' pines out back, but it would take about 100" of coax from the house just to get to the base of them...

I'm looking for vertical for mainly local ragchewing.

Suggestions?

Don't get too hung up on coax losses. At HF those losses don't really amount to all that much, a lot of times you can't tell there's any loss anyway.
Just how high could you get an antenna in those pine trees? I'd think that would be more of a consideration for me than the amount of loss in getting there.
People have been doing this sort of thing for a lot of years, it works. I think I'd use at least a good grade of RG-8, for the whole thing if possible, it just keeps things simple. Wanna save a dB or two (that you can't even hear), be my guest.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
i'd expect the gain from getting the antenna 20-25 ft higher in the tree would be more than the loss from a additional 100-150 ft of coax , even if you used 8x . some sort of direct bury RG8 or 213 coax would be better for a run that long IMO .

you also may want to consider ladder line for the 100 ft part if you can keep it in the air away from stuff and feel comfortable making baluns .

http://www.worldwidedx.com/meters-mics-other-accessories/134304-300-ohm-ladder-line-11-meters.html

You guys are correct...

I guess I'll just stay mobile for now, I probably will be relocating again near the end of the year, so I'll save the coax Money...

Booty, you ever get on Channel 30, "The Bay Side Lounge"?

I talked to a guy in Richmond the other night while going to work from my mobile

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated