• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vertical VS. Long wire

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
So here is a 30 second recording of 5.225 MHZ on USB. The First 10 seconds is my Vertical 10m antenna 30' in the air on a push up pole grounded by 3 8' ground rods with 1/2" flat strap by 1'. The next 10 seconds in the clip 10-20s is the long wire which is 32' long solid conductor wire coiled like a spring and stretched along the inside of the room from east to west ( wire is attached from the East side of the antenna), the last 10 seconds of the clip is both the vertical and long wire to gether, as you can hear it removed the local pulse sound but brought up the S unit from: 1 s unit pulse to no pulse but 6 s units. Does this sound right?

Attachments

• 5.225.0 USB.mp3
    696 KB · Views: 241

Seems to work okay except the LONG WIRE is much nosier( more white noise) then the vertical....i wonder why

Sounds like perhaps the signals from the two antennas were arriving out of phase and cancelling out.

no doubt, as Garth says soon as you introduce another antenna you introduce multipath signal propagation and phase differences, there could already be that with just one antenna, but two rx antennas makes it a definite, as they are apart, even a few inches/feet apart can cause massive signal differences due to obstacles that could be miles away or feet away.

no doubt, as Garth says soon as you introduce another antenna you introduce multipath signal propagation and phase differences, there could already be that with just one antenna, but two rx antennas makes it a definite, as they are apart, even a few inches/feet apart can cause massive signal differences due to obstacles that could be miles away or feet away.

The LONG WIRE is much nosier( more white noise) then the vertical....i wonder why?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The wire is most likely receiving signals from inside the room/house that the vertical cannot see and not receiving the pulse due to an obstruction such as metal siding on the home or the most obvious reason it is not tuned for the band the pulse is on.

I must be dumb than I thought the more antennas for receive the better...yikes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned