• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF bang for buck

Double nasty

Jul 12, 2012
Looking at running a VHF in my jeep. The freqs we run up here is 137-178 which radio would be the best and what antenna set up I do alot of wheelin an also would like wether channels cause here in AK weather turns in minutes thanks guys!

Sent from your moms phone....

If you can read this I've spilt my beer....

What is *your* definition of "best radio"??? We can't give help if you don't say what you mean by "best" ;-)

What type of license and on which frequency (ies) do you expect to operate in this VHF band?

If you don't know, buy a pair of FRS handheld radios rated for the highest distance in miles, you don't need licenses for these. Or get a pair o GMRS which in the states need a license IIRC.

Oh, and : You have a typo in the frequencies span you list for VHF: there's no radio comms higher that 174MHz....
Good luck

Depends on if you have a ham radio license or not.....

If you have a ham radio license I would say take a hard look at the Yaesu FT 2900 ..I have two of them, one in mobile and one in the house, and they are tough little radios

Outside of that I am not sure...

The group I roll with have a commercial license and right now I'm studying for my golden ticket...... The MHz they run is 151.400 and 157.650 and I'm looking for a radio that has weather channels and tx and rx between 144-174 or whatever MHz it is... An also antenna

Sent from your moms phone....

If you can read this I've spilt my beer....

If you're studying for your ham license then you know that the VHF ham spectrum on 2 meters is from 144 to 148 mhz. Using a ham radio to transmit at 150 mhz is illegal . You would need something like FRS, or GMRS radio not an amateur radio. There are some good FRS and GMRS radios that have a range of 10 miles.

I'd ask the other guys involved with the commercial licence what they are using. The Moto CM200 has TX/RX in the freqs you listed. You would need to have a Moto dealer program the channels used in the commercial license.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.