• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF license?

Mtnman

May 31, 2010
Hi guys

I am new to VHF radios I have used CBs for awhile.

I want to use them for Offroading, hiking, camping etc...

Do I need any kind of license to operate a vhf radio?

thanks,
Andy

Is their a chart that shows the frequencies that you need a license for?

How long does it take to get a license? Is it just paying a fee & filling out some applications or is their also a test you have to take?

thanks,
Andy

Dont know if this will help or not. Other option is getting a HAM Technician License, but then anyone you talk with would also need to be a licensed HAM.

Craig

In the United States, the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is a two-way radio service consisting of five frequencies in the VHF spectrum regulated by Title 47 of the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part 95. Established by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in the fall of 2000, MURS created a radio service allowing for "licensed by rule" or "permitted by part" (Part 95) operation (rather than permitted by individual license), with a power limit of 2 watts, four times that of FRS radio. In the fall of 2002, the FCC further amended the MURS rules; these rule modifications included changing the 2 watt power limitation to be based on Transmitter Power Output (TPO), rather than Effective Radiated Power (ERP), so there is no longer an ERP limit with MURS, and external gain antennas may be utilized. The FCC formally defines MURS as "a private, two-way, short-distance voice or data communications service for personal or business activities of the general public." MURS stations may not be connected to the public telephone network, may not be used for store and forward operations, and radio repeaters are not permitted.

MURS comprises the following five frequencies:
Frequency Authorized bandwidth
151.820 MHz 11.25 kHz
151.880 MHz 11.25 kHz
151.940 MHz 11.25 kHz
154.570 MHz 20.00 kHz
154.600 MHz 20.00 kHz

Because previous business band licensees who have maintained their active license remain grandfathered with their existing operating privileges, it is possible to find repeaters or other operations not authorized by Part 95 taking place. These are not necessarily illegal. If legal, such operations may enjoy primary status on their licensed frequency and as such are legally protected from harmful interference by MURS users.

I am going to get my HAM license at some point but my friends wont do that :sad: so I need to run VHF radios when with them.

Here are the radios I am interested in

IC-F9511HT VHF P25 Conventional & Trunked Transceiver - Features - Icom America

IC-F9011 / F9021 Series VHF P25 Conventional & Trunked Transceivers - Specifications - Icom America

Either the ICOM F9011T/S/B: 136–174 MHz or the F9021T/S/B: 360-450, 400-470, 450-520 MHz

do any of these radios require a license?
What kind of range can I expect with these radios?

Well you are pretty well limited to radios as your buddies dont want to get an Amateur Radio License.

The only radios you can legally use without that are the MURS radios on the above listed frequencies and no more than 2 watts output. Or just get some cheap FRS radios and operate on UHF.

The mobile unit you posted is way too powerful, and the portables would have to be used on low power, not to mention a dealer would have to program them.

Just get your license, its not that hard, get a good mobile for your rig, maybe with APRS so you can track your trail riding on the internet and your buddies might change their minds ...

Not to mention all the other cool stuff you can do like talk through Satelites, local repeaters, and learn alot about the technical aspects of communication equipment.

I went dirtbike riding today and Tracked my truck from the house and back via the aprs stuff. you can check it out at OpenAPRS and do a 1 day track of W1MED-9 ..

Good Luck

Craig

Hey Craig,

I checked out your ride the APRS is really cool I will get a radio with it. (y)

I mine as well get my ham license sooner than later & I will get my friends to do it as well even if I have to force them :LOL: I am going to start studying for it.

Once I get my HAM license, do I also need to get this license to run VHF/UHF radios? FCC: Wireless Services: Industrial/Business: Licensing

How much is it to program the radios I posted?

What kind of range will they have?

thanks,
Andy

The radios that you have posted links to are normally used for businesses,or poilce/fire/public service,and yes you do have to have a license for those,and a frequency coornadition as well.

I just looked into getting a couple of handhelds like you posted for my job,I work on huge jobs that require either cell phone or a handheld of some type...the cost of getting this done will cross your eyes.For me personally the license and corrnadation was just over 500$ not to mention the cost of the radios.

Even GMRS radios do require a license and that one is 85$...The best way to go is ham,that is just a small fee of around 20$ to get the paper work done after you pass a test and you are good to go...and the test is pretty easy

I do wish you all the best in whatever way you choose to go with

Just to keep things from getting too confusing, APRS isn't limited to ham radio, it can be done in almost all services. It's just a matter of finding the associated programs that will be compatible with a particular brand/model of radio and making the proper connections to that radio.
'Ham' radio does have a few limitations, such as NOT being usable for business purposes, which would include doing that APRS thingy for business tracking. If that ham license is going to be used for business purposes, you'd better find another way of doing things. With all the 'hoop-la' about that sort of thing lately, it just wouldn't be worth the trouble (and you will get caught at it eventually).
Would that APRS stuff be inexpensive commercially? I really doubt it, just too many other requirements that would go along with it. You see a lot of trucks with that sort of thingy on them, ask one of them if it's cheap, and/or worth the bother, I haven't the slightest clue.
This is all just a sort of 'heads-up', not really directed to anyone in particular. It might save a lot of aggravation though.
- 'Doc

Did you even look at how much that mobile radio costs ??

Icom IC-F9511 HT P25 Conventional & Trunked VHF Transceiver

Get your license and get a decent APRS Capable Mobile and you will be very happy !!

What? It's only $2400. :whistle:

That radio is FAR more than the average user would ever need regardless of the price. It has voice encryption capability, voice compandoring, trunking ability, password power on protection, the ability to be remotely disabled over the air if it should get stolen or lost, not to mention 110 watts output.Sounds like a good candidate for public service operation or government use but definitely NOT for the average (or even above average) user.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.