• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF marine antenna for a VX-8R

Hi,

I would like to get a VHF Marine Antenna (rubber duck) for my VX-8R.

Which reference do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume the experts will come through and correct me if I am wrong, but you should not need one.

I was playing on the Marine band this weekend with my VX-8R (standard antenna, removed resister) and my HX350s. Admittedly I was unable to put much distance between both HTs, but as I understand it I, I came through with no problems.

Hi,

Receiving?
The VX-8R receives the Marine band perfectly. And I like the fact that Marine Channels are pre-programmed. :)

Transmitting?
Should I need to transmit using my VX-8R (e.g. in case my marine VHF handhled transceiver is not working) I am convinced that the antenna from the VX-8R will hinder the transmission quality and strengh. :(

One should have an antenna for a given wave length...

So which rubberduck antenna would fit my requirements? :confused:

I'm pretty sure the antenna is the same one that Vertex Standard ships on the HX4741S handheld marine radio.

If you want one cut specifically for the VHF Marine band, go to Smiley Antennas. You can get an antenna for any band from them and if they don't have it, you can order a custom one.

Most rubber duck antennas are nothing more than a dummy load with a radiator attached; bandwidth not quite DC to daylight, but virtually any of them will cover VHF/UHF quite well.

Stick an SWR meter or an antenna analyzer on and do some experimenting.

Cyr -

An old trick that works even with new HTs is simply making a counterpoise for the antenna.

Cut a piece of copper wire a bit over 1/4 wavelength at the frequency you're most concerned with. For the USA 2-meter band, that's around 19.5 inches long, but cut it an inch or so longer.

At one end, strip off the insulation and wrap it around the ground portion of the antenna connector. If it's stranded wire, you might want to tin it lightly so the strands don't separate. Exactly how you attach it to the antenna connector depends on the radio/antenna geometry at the connector and your own ingenuity.

At the other end, attach a weight - just a few grams. Enough to keep the wire reasonably straight when you're using the radio.

That's it. This gives the antenna a more constant counterpoise than your body, making it a more effective half-wave vertical dipole. You should find your radiated signal dramatically improved.

Succes, en veel plezier!

Beetle,

Doesn't something need to complete the circuit since the wire only connects to the grounded (threaded) part?

jm

Think of it just like a vertical dipole, only in this case the feedline is only the length of the SMA or BNC connector. The stock antenna is already connected to the center conducter of that connecter, but it doesn't have the other half of the antenna (well, it actually uses your body). So by attaching a small wire around the ground part of that SMA/BNC connector, you've just made it into a vertical dipole.

Beetle,

Doesn't something need to complete the circuit since the wire only connects to the grounded (threaded) part?

jm

Look at a dipole. Center conductor of coax connected to one side of the center insulator, shield connected to the other side. Is there a "complete circuit" there?

Not at DC, but then again, RF is not DC.

calculate the length here

I bot a Smiley 270a antenna which adjusts for 2m/220/440 and everything in between. Calculate the length here:

Antenna Length Calculation

I bot a Diamond SRH320a but dont like the length. The Smiley collapses down to 9.5" total radio/antenna length on my VX8r, and it has a spring at the base. You just extend it fully for 1/4 wave on 2m, fully collapse for 1/4 wave 440 etc etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.