• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF Vertical: Why not the tallest?

snakyjake

Nov 20, 2011
What are some reasons for not wanting the tallest (e.g. 17 feet) antenna?

Does a 17 foot antenna mounted to a metal pole need guy wires?

No restrictions (price, location, laws).
VHF/UHF vertical base antennas.
Rural area, trees, repeaters on mountains, I'm at 500 feet above sea level.

Jake

Jake,
Add in that list that they are more noticeable (ugly?).
Does one need guying on a tall antenna? Guess that depends on the pole and how the antenna is constructed. If in doubt, why not?
The above sea level doesn't mean much, but the above ground level certainly can.The -best- height for any VHF/UHF antenna is twice as high as anything within 50 miles of you. Everything else is a compromise. Uh, yeah, right. Not exactly the most practical thing to try for, is it? Oh well, you get what you can and then quit worrying about it.
A few feet can certainly make a difference in some particular cases, but in most cases won't make a huge difference. I've got one dual-band antenna at about 20 feet and another just like it at about 10 feet. I can't tell that it makes any practical difference at all. One of them was a replacement of a shorter dual-band antenna, the larger one definitely did make a difference. The second antenna is for a different purpose but I've tried swapping to see the differences. There was no significant difference attributable to height. There are definite differences, which were surprising though. The lower one using 'worse' feed line had a better match than the one higher which uses LMR-400 feed line (both antennas are non-tunable). I haven't arrived at a definite reason for that yet. (I Doubt if I'll go to the trouble either, since the differences just ain't huge.)
So, when you get that thing to about a 1/4 mile above ground level, quit. Oh, and remember to light the @#$ thing or the FAA will get mad...
- 'Doc

I have the Diamond x50 which is only 5'6 inches tall and it works well but I wonder if I should have opted for a taller vertical myself? Price dictated my vertical since I bought two yagis at the same time. Nothing wrong with the X50 though just never owned another to compare it too.

The only reason for a longer antenna at VHF/UHF is because that normally means it's a vertical array and there are more elements in that array. A larger array means more gain. That's about it really.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.