• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage Lafayette HB-333 CB Base Radio

Part of my collection:
There was something different between a 625A and a 625B.
Also, the 625 had a silencer with an on / off toggle switch on the left side of the meter, whereas the 525 did not have the silencer. I remember because the 525 and 625B were in the showcase and I bought the 625B because of the silencer. Did it make any difference? Who the h*** knows! Lol..lol! Those darn radio salespersons! Lol....lol!

Also, the 625 had a silencer with an on / off toggle switch on the left side of the meter, whereas the 525 did not have the silencer. I remember because the 525 and 625B were in the showcase and I bought the 625B because of the silencer. Did it make any difference? Who the h*** knows! Lol..lol! Those darn radio salespersons! Lol....lol!
Yup you're right...

The 625's "silencer" was a noise blanker in the RF section of the receiver in addition to the standard ANL in the audio section, which the 525 had. Still can buy a cheap CB today with just ANL, but you'll pay more for a radio with ANL plus a true RF noise blanker.

I had a 525 conversion to 10 meters. Got rid of it when it hit 20 years old, needed a re-cap job, and VFOs took over. Not so many people on AM on 10 meters either after the late 1980s Part95 rules changes which allowed all Tech class hams on 10 meter sideband. Radio Shack HTX 100 or HTX 10 was the thing at that point (early 1990s).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307
The 625's "silencer" was a noise blanker in the RF section of the receiver in addition to the standard ANL in the audio section, which the 525 had. Still can buy a cheap CB today with just ANL, but you'll pay more for a radio with ANL plus a true RF noise blanker.

I had a 525 conversion to 10 meters. Got rid of it when it hit 20 years old, needed a re-cap job, and VFOs took over.
Thank you for sharing that interesting info....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.