• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Voice Inversion

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I was reading about voice inversion and wondered if it is legal on ham radio, like PSK31?

The best evidence I could find to support its legality is the fact that there are several GMRS/FRS radios approved that use various modes of voice inversion, and related segments of the part 95/97 rules that govern these services are worded relatively the same. Part 90 also states specifically that voice inversion is acceptable for various modes.

Also, I stumbled across this statement, apparently from FCC's, William Cross"

"The question you ask has been asked before. Section 97.113 prohibits amateur
stations from transmitting messages in codes and ciphers intended to obscure
the meaning of the message. If the code or cipher is publically available,
then transmitting messages in the code or cipher would not appear to be for
the intent of obscuring the meaning of the message.

William Cross
FCC"

Voice inversion also does not appear to be a code or cipher as is commonly understood, and voice inversion is about as simple as something can be, and nearly as publicly understood as SSB, maybe even moreso than PSK31.

Software and hardware to de-invert the audio is also as readily available as those that support PSK31.

Nonetheless, I still find a definitive answer to this question more obscure than VI it'self.

C'mon now, it's right there in his reply. Remember how many federal laws include "INTENT" as part of the description of prohibited behavior. If you intend to kill someone, it can get you into trouble just for the attempt, whether you succeed or not.

It says "codes and ciphers intended to obscure
the meaning of the message.
"

Seems to me that inversion has no other use than to "obscure meaning". PSK31 certainly is "encoded", but in a way intended to be received and understood.

Besides the "FCC's William Cross" is probably a lawyer. If a lawyer makes himself clearly understood, he risks being drummed out of the corps.

Well, the intent would be for the experience to see what it's like, or how it works, to aid in investigating a software/PC/radio harmony...

Now, if a couple of guys are talkin on 70cm FM, and use MCW to transmit their call or any other parts of their communication, with the intent to prevent non-coders from being able to identify or understand them, would that not pertain more to the spirit of the rule?

What about switching to some uncommon language?

Is not USB just inverted LSB? The only difference with VI is that the reference is moved from the carrier freq to some other point. I suspect that if I was using voice inversion on LSB, you would be able to clarify my signal when switched to USB, provided I was not using some form of rolling voice inversion.

Why is PSK31 allowed? I cannot understand it, nor could I ever be tought to understand it. So your saying it is only OK to digitally encode, but not <grin>analogly</grin> encode?

Simple voice inversion could be learned and understood by the human ear, without the aid of external devices. Remember the experiment where they put glasses on a guy that turned everything up-side-down. Eventually his brain flipped things over and he saw right-side-up again. Same thing would happen with inverted voice. You could also learn it like a foriegn language, or like piglatin.

OK, since I still have to transmit my call in plain english, what if I also mentioned that I'm using voice inversion and stated the reflection frequency?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.