• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Volvo VNL mid roof

Nice job JD. Interested to hear how it does for you. Since you were able to get most of the antenna above the roofline and bulkhead the reflection shouldn't be too bad.

Didn't like the standard Bird Perch mount. Couldn't tighten the antenna mount properly on it so I dug out the Top Gun Z-Perch mount I had laying around and found I could mount it on the back of the sleeper using 2 existing bolt holes. These have a much beefier bird perch mount than the regular screw-in types. We'll see how this works.
20220904_160319.jpg20220904_160311.jpg
Still a work in progress..........

JD

Didn't like the standard Bird Perch mount. Couldn't tighten the antenna mount properly on it so I dug out the Top Gun Z-Perch mount I had laying around and found I could mount it on the back of the sleeper using 2 existing bolt holes. These have a much beefier bird perch mount than the regular screw-in types. We'll see how this works.
View attachment 60466View attachment 60467
Still a work in progress..........

JD
That mount looks right for the job, don't you love it when something you already had works perfectly like that.

How's it performing so far?

You've got me contemplating something similar on my cascadia day cab. The mirror mount works but I think it's ugly. Maybe something like you have but using a hustler scb antennas to keep the low clearance.

That mount looks right for the job, don't you love it when something you already had works perfectly like that.

How's it performing so far?

You've got me contemplating something similar on my cascadia day cab. The mirror mount works but I think it's ugly. Maybe something like you have but using a hustler scb antennas to keep the low clearance.
One of our drivers in a Cascadia daycab is using a screw-in bird perch on the back of the cab with a Wilson 2000 on it. Seems to work fine. As for my adventure...........I still have some tuning to do and possibly some RF grounds as well. Volvo's seem to ground, RF wise, better than the Cascadia's right off the bat. Must be that Swedish Steel! LOL!
I was glad I found a use for the Z-Perch! Kinda sucked having a $50 mount just laying around with nothing to do.........not counting the 4 other radios (about $1500 worth) laying around! Damn hobby is expensive.............

JD

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.