• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Voodoo Audio

Harmonizer is a lot of fun

Most that complain about ESSB, don't have a receiver that can hear it properly or the technical understanding to set themselves up.
]

:headbang

I use my station on on SSB / 11 meters. When Dx. is on 27.385 LSB.
The Harmonizer is hours of fun to play with. But becouse of the small pitch
offset delay its hard to use ( talk ) when using headhones in the monitor .
So I rarely ever use it.

Thanks,

Ray

Heh, I've done software processing for my audio chain before and the latency is a really weird thing to hear in the monitor and try and talk at the same time. I know exactly what you mean.

VoiceShaper is a neat application.

Most people that run a ton of rack gear do so to impress others and make themselves feel good in the process. Exceptionally good audio can be obtained with a LOT less gear than you think.Having spent 22 years in the engineering department of a commercial AM/FM broadcasting network you learn a few things about great audio. Yes, the radio has to be able to pass the frequencies without ringing in the filters or crap will result. Using a decent quality microphone with a slight bit of EQ and a little bit of compression and fed into the aux audio input of your radio will sound great. Been there and done thet. My microphone of choice is the Sennheiser MD-421 which has a built in five position switch to select different roll-off points. The 421 feeds an Altec-Lansing preamp and then into a Harris EQ and then into the Phone Patch IN port of the the old trusty Kenwood TS-820S or the FT-857. Never a complaint about audio even from the Sunday morning rountable of former/current radio/TV engineers in the region.You should hear what it does on AM from a Heath DX-60.:D

Reactions: tuner and w9cll
mic-pre, comp, downward expander, eq, that's all I like, but even the expander can be dropped with the right mic

I've got a Joe Meek 3Q that I like with an Audix OM-2 and I've got a CAD M177 that I use with a Symetrix 528e...the downward expander is very useful with a condenser. The OM-2 is great because the pattern is so tight and it works well close talked so I don't need a gate with that one.

Voice articulation is around 6k. Of course with it comes the 'Sss'; but also the 'Tee' sounds for extra clarity. A little dab will do ya...

Midrange between 800 to 1200 cycles is often overdone and easily becomes too muddy. Thes is where most/best changes can be made to ensure additional clarity. A notching parametric is nice for this purpose especially one that get a 1/60 of an octave. So, a multi-band parametric EQ would be the first, most logical choice to me.

If a compressor is also used -a decent choice to include-A dbx unit set for reducing the peak slightly with a attack set to one's liking. The amount of compression should be enough to saturate without smashing all of the dynamics to oblivion.

Then, a tube mic preamp. Picking a mic to suit you would be akin to finding the right pair of shoes. Low impedance cardiod/hypercardiod dynamic mics by Shure and Electro-Voice is where I would start. Some mics will make it very difficult to clean up well with a great parametric EQ. Cheaper mics will have this problem; that has been my experience...

Last edited:
Most people that run a ton of rack gear do so to impress others and make themselves feel good in the process.

Just about summed up ESSB in one sentence there mate,

its a bit like buying ridiculously expensive rigs,huge linears where price far outweighs performance gains,its all about boosting ego and boasting rights.It does little to improve performance that can't be achieved for thousands of pounds/dollars less with a little bit of knowledge and some wise investments.

Nothing more than compensating for other station or psychological inadequacies.Some people buy big rigs,others buy big linears,others thousands of pounds of rack gear and some even go to the extreme of penis enhancement.Whats next Enhanced CW,:headbang:headbang

Reactions: 1 person
ESSB audio

Great to see others care about what they sound like.
I am sorry Captain Kilowatt that you think its only about " boosting ego's / boasting rights. But thats OK.
Send me a audio clip if you have one of your " over the air" sound.
If you have none.....hmm.... then record your voice out of your monitor into your PC.
Here is a link from my station so you can compare.
http://www.kc9msi.wz5q.net/
Its always best to keep a open mind.

73's 985chicago

985- If you guys wanna transmit signals well over 3 KHz wide on SSB- Have at it. You will make many enemies and be labeled a "LID." :censored: :thumbdown:

I would if I could but this is what my shack looks like at the present time. That's just the computer stuff you see.

img1250f.jpg

And this is where it all went.

img1248o.jpg

Perhaps after it is all redone and put back together. That should be about 2014 sometime at the rate things are going here with other stuff. :cry:

Great to see others care about what they sound like.
I am sorry Captain Kilowatt that you think its only about " boosting ego's / boasting rights. But thats OK.
Send me a audio clip if you have one of your " over the air" sound.
If you have none.....hmm.... then record your voice out of your monitor into your PC.
Here is a link from my station so you can compare.
KC9MSI Hi-Fi ESSB Voodoo Audio Amateur Radio Station
Its always best to keep a open mind.

73's 985chicago

Why not post a shot of a spectrum analyzer being used to measure your signal's actual bandwidth?

Greetings , Here is a snap shot as you asked.
Also here is a link to listen to a clip .
KC9MSI Hi-Fi ESSB Voodoo Audio Amateur Radio Station

Beetle , I use Adobe Audition spectra frequency analysis .
But based on your question I can assume you also have someway to see it.
If not........ Hmmm... try SpectraPLUS - Audio Spectrum Analyzer down load a free trial.

The snap shot you asked for only shows a moment in the original recording.
You have to have the complete system to really set it.
Anway, in this snap shot for whats its worth, highs around 6k / low 120.

73's
985chicago

Attachments

• IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 331
I believe that's just a view of the audio response is it not? I believe Beetle was looking for a snapshot showing the RF bandwidth. IMD would be nice to see measured as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.