• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vortex antennas

Just a question about the wording in a post.

I've seen and used balanced when referring to both feedlines and antennas, but have never seen or heard it used in the context quoted above. What, specifically, are you calling a "balanced length of coax".

The DB

I see I am not the only one wondering that same thing. I have seen twin coax cable that looks like two parallel runs of coax joined together like lamp cord and you can use it as a balanced feedline but that would be a "length of balanced coax" and not a "balanced length of coax".

Since he's talking about measuring SWR, I think what he means by "a balanced length of coax", is that the coax he's using is exactly 1/2 wavelength long, or a multiple thereof. Since the rf voltage/current relationship repeats itself every half wavelength, an swr meter connected at the transceiver end of this coax should give the exact same reading as if it was connected directly to the antenna base. Calling it a "balanced coax" is just a poor choice of words.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.