• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VORTEX Q82 mk2

I think I finally have good dimensions for the Vortex Q82 Mark2 with a long radial cone and a 3/4 wavelength radiator.

PDF file #1 - the Free Space model showing the Average Gain results = 1.001 which is perfect.

PDF file #2 - the model over Real Earth at 36' feet to the feed point.

My model still shows gain for this new antenna = 3.54 dbi at 8* degrees...no where near 5.82 dbi as reported. My dimensions corrections do improve the Bandwidth to <2.00:1 SWR at resonance = 5.00 MHz at resonance however.

My models indicate the SWR at the Feed Point however, so maybe what we see here is reporting a real antenna BW which should always look better with a long feed line including some losses.

Attachments

• Vortex Mark2 in Free Space and over Real Earth.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
No big surprise there Eddie,

Making nonsense claims is nothing new to Vortex, they have history with the Q64 & original Q82,

i knew they were bullshitters when they claimed the original Q82 whooped the vector which is impossible unless the vector is broken,

They either did a mickey mouse test or simply made it up,
they took Donald's CST claims from his website and used it in their own advertising
& managed to get that wrong so it made no sense,

The mk2 vector test we saw was not conducted over 20+ miles as claimed in the video, its a good drive by road but only 6-7 miles atcf across the Humber estuary,

Two of my buddies own the original Q82,

Thanks for the heads-up on these antennas Bob.

I feel good when I have confidence a model shows to be good according to my thinking and the error checking the software reports...showing the model is accurate as constructed. On the other hand, based on the words of manufactures...we seldom hear the truth anymore...if we ever did.

I use to be naive and called such lying "Commercial Puffing," but not anymore.

I sure would like for once to be able to report the good numbers we always see in the ads, hear over the air, and get on the Internet and TV. But, the lying is rampant.

Bob, this is just a sign of the times...lying and deception on all fronts these days.

In America, our citizens are consistently put-upon by our Government, Big Business, and every other big institution...including Education, Health-Care, Justice, NASA, our own Internal Revenue Service, the FBI, and at State and local levels too. All lie profusely and they don't even care trying to hide their deception anymore !!!!

Bob, I'm becoming so cynical...I hardly believe anything I hear. Seems nowadays the world gets all excited and happy when they hear lies, but then get's all down in spirit...when we hear the simple truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: davev8
Does anyone know the measurements on Vortex Q82 mk2 gamma match .Tubing size and length.

Nitro, if you look at Bob85's link to the Q82 mk2 below, you will see their model pattern for this antenna. At the bottom of the antenna is a large red (O), this is the feed point...so this model below in the link shows the antenna is an End Fed antenna, and that suggest there is no gamma match.

Click on the big picture at the top to open the slide show for the smaller images noted right below. This is a tricky video slideshow to work, so go slow. There is a (>) mark in the middle of the screen for some or all of the images, click it to either stop or start the slideshow. I think the mark (II) shows up when the slide show stops. The (< >) marks at each side of the images goes backwards and forwards.

http://www.vortexantennas.co.uk/shop/vortex-quasar-q82-mk2/

The picture of the real antenna, does show the antenna has a gamma match. The moderator of the video in this thread, says he will give us more details on the antenna later...but I never saw anymore on YouTube for this antenna.

I modeled this antenna with the feed point at the base, as noted in the link above, and the pattern it produced looks identical to their model. I don't think the Gain I got was even close however.

So, your guess is as good as anybody wanting to consider or build this antenna. I do not remember where I got my dimensions, but I will provide those dimensions I used if you think it will help.

I did several versions of this antenna in this thread, and below is another model I did near the end of the discussion. It too, has the feed point at the bottom end of the radiator. I don't remember much from back then, so I'm not real sure if I ever was able to make this antenna with a gamma match, or if it was difficult and I just quit piddling with the model. My models never did produce all the gain published for this product, and that didn't excite me much...I wasn't impressed, but I would have liked getting the physical gamma match idea in the model to working right.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/attachments/vortex-mark2-in-free-space-and-over-real-earth-pdf.22874/

Last edited:
Hello Guys
I have bought Voryex mk82 but I am have trouble assembling it correctly. Does any one have instructions for assembly please

Kindest regards
Ian M7ADU

Ian, a few folks in this thread discussed the Vortex with little results sometime in late 2020. We had to try hard to get dimensions and it was never enough. I think we just took some wild guess for what we didn't know for sure.

Have you tried talking to Vortex?

I came down with Covid19 in November of 2020. I didn't seem to have a bad case during those 5 days in the Hospital, but months and a year or two later I'm still suffering with some of the symptoms that seem to come and go.

I never could get close to duplicating the 5.52 dbi high-gain results reported by Vortex using my Eznec modeling software.

Read this thread close, you may also pick up some good info if you look around in this thread and YouTube. Use "Search" on WWDX. Vortex made a variety of different versions, and I could not tell for sure what version you have. I assume it is Q82 M2 verson...the latest I know about.

I don't remember much, but I'm sure we never found a source for an assemble manuals from Vortex.

Check Google for videos. If you get one that describes, in a voice, some installation information might get out to the public.

Not sure they are still operating, but I saw an updated notice of their re-opening in March.

I have another piece of promotional material I would like to send you but I'm having trouble scanning with my old printer. Hope this helps a little

Good luck and keep us posted.

Marconi

Attachments

• Vortex M2 (1).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.