• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR Antenna

DaltonJ82

Sep 10, 2014
Ok i just purchased this radio. Quick question for listening to SW. can i unscrew the top of the antenna and add a longer wire to it to pick more frequencies up?

You do not unscrew the top of the antenna however you can remove the antenna and use the appropriate adapter to connect another antenna of any type. You want to be careful attaching a piece of wire however as those radios, and all HT's in general, are overloaded fairly easily by strong signals and it's won't take much wire to really enhance the pick up of that radio.

I made a simple "long wire" antenna by soldering a small wire into the appropriate SMA connector. When out in the field, you can just toss it up in a tree, or something like that. For small HTs like this that have general coverage, it really helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated