• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR - best upgraded antenna & who has 2000 maH batteries?

JohnnyScience

Jun 10, 2011
I'd like to upgrade to the best possible antenna for the Yaesu VX-8DR to maximize its performance. What would you guys say that is?

Isn't there a ducky that has a double antenna built in it?

Also, I've read somewhere that someone makes a 2000 maH battery for this HT. who makes it and how does it compare in quality & battery life to the Yaesu 1800 maH battery?

Thanks.

That's a very good antenna...just realize that you will not be able to use 6m with it. Regarding the battery: I'm not sure about a 2000mAh one. I use the 1800mAh from Yaesu. If you find an aftermarket 2000 mAh battery, please share the info.

Is there a high quality upgraded antenna that will do all 4 bands? I'm in Cleveland so I need to see what ones are even in use around here.

But if I were to get the diamond tri band, should I also get an upgraded 6m antenna or is the stock antenna plenty for 6m?

Also Peter linked to the place I've heard of for the 2000 mah battery. I'm just wondering the quality & lifespan compared to the Yaesu 1800? (sometimes off brand or generic batteries don't last as long as they say)

Last edited:
Refer to this thread about the aftermarket 2000 mah batteries.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/34864-yaesu-vx-8r-extended-battery-comparison.html

As for antennas, I have a MFJ-1720S. It is a tri-band antenna (2m, 70cm, 6m). It works well but it is lnog and quite top heavy. here is thye write up for it.

"This MFJ Triple Band HT FlexiDuck antenna is a whopping 19 inches tall - it's big enough to deliver a powerful transmit and receive signal for 2 Meters, 440 MHz, and 6 Meters! Has an SMA connector for those popular new HT transceivers.

MFJ-1720S is a 5/8 Wave on 440 MHz to give you a hearty 3.2 dB gain. On 2 Meters you get a 1/4 Wave antenna with 2.15 dBi gain. On 6 Meters you get an efficient full size 1/4 Wave antenna for full-size performance. Precision tuned at the factory for low SWR, you get maximum performance right out of the package. High-Q, low loss construction gives you maximum radiated power. Handles 10 Watts."

I personaly don't use it much. I mostly use 2m and 70cm so I have a dual band antenna that is my primary antenna. It is Nogoya 701 and I think it is excellent. You also can't go wrong with a $13 price.

That's a very good antenna...just realize that you will not be able to use 6m with it. Regarding the battery: I'm not sure about a 2000mAh one. I use the 1800mAh from Yaesu. If you find an aftermarket 2000 mAh battery, please share the info.

So I called my local HAM shop & asked them about the Diamond SRH320A antenna & if 6m is popular around here & they said not really, mostly 2m & 440.

They had a dual band Diamond for $25, but the one I linked to in this thread is a tri-band for $35.

I'm not really worried about the price, just want the best quality. Will I have more interference with a tri-band vs a dual band antenna?

Even though 6m isn't popular would it be a good idea to get a higher quality 6m dedicated antenna or do you think the stock antenna that comes with the Yaesu if fine if I ever needed to use 6m?

Mind you this is mostly going to be an emergency style radio.

Thanks.

So looking at eham reviews people also mention the

Diamond 940

But I think that one has 6m instead of 220 which Gamma says is no good for Ht & it's not popular in the Cleveland area really anyways.

But they also suggest a quad band Diamond 999

How does the 999 compare to the 320 do you guys think for the 8DR? Should i get it since its a quad band like my radio?

Are there any telescoping antennas I should consider?

Back home doing more research some people have suggested this one for a collapseable stock that is comparable to the Diamond 320 if not slightly better from what they say & it's telescoping which I think is a great feature.

Smiley 270A

It is a tri band like the Diamond 320 doing the same frequencies right?

My only concern is if the antenna is collapsed & water gets in it, is it going to ruin it? If this is an issue with collapsible stocks I will go with the 320 or the 999 since the reason I spent so much on the 8DR is for the complete waterproof ability.

Thoughts?

I can speak for both the srh940 antenna and the 2000mah battery, both are excellent.

I've used 6m and with a little height and 5watts on FM with ok band conditions I was able to cover most of the city I am in.

The battery can be expected to last about twice as long as the stock battery in the same conditions.

Also, what exactly are you looking for that people haven't already said. Would you like me to click the buy button for you?! /sarcasm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.