• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR SmartBeaconing isn't so Smart?

djb_rh

Jan 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
www.carefreeway.com
Okay, I'm sure it is. But the problem is I can't turn it on!

Seriously. I've gone through the manual step-by-step. But in the menu option where you should be able to rotate the dial between Auto, Manual, and Smart, I only have Auto and Manual options. If I go to the station list and hit Mode it only rotates between NO circle-dot and a solid circle-dot, no circle-without-dot. I definitely have SOME kind of DR firmware because I do have option 24 in the APRS menus as "SmartBeaconing" and I can rotate it through the three modes. Doesn't matter which of these it's set to. Doesn't matter if there's an actual GPS connected or not. Doesn't matter if it has GPS signal or not. I tried it with GPS lock just to be sure it didn't NEED that before it would let me turn that mode on (which didn't seem likely, since it lets you turn on all the other modes without an actual GPS lock).

To reiterate, yes, SmartBeaconing is enabled in Item 24. But item 14 will not let me turn it on like the manual says. I just get the same "Auto" and "Manual" options that the 8R has (which I also own). Anyone else seen this? I've got a call into Yaesu about it, but they couldn't put their hands on a DR in tech support today and are going to call back in a day or two when they have one (they just shipped out their only one to a hamfest???). Anyway, I know they'll make it right, I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this and even if not put it out there for the future in case someone does. I'll definitely update this with whatever we figure out.

--Donnie

Man, I've been waiting for the details on the upgrade from the 8r to get mine up to a 8Dr. If I had that, I could help you! There are a couple others here with the 8Dr; maybe they will chime in. If you figure it out, please let us know the procedure so we don't have to figure it out like you are now.

Man, I've been waiting for the details on the upgrade from the 8r to get mine up to a 8Dr. If I had that, I could help you! There are a couple others here with the 8Dr; maybe they will chime in. If you figure it out, please let us know the procedure so we don't have to figure it out like you are now.

Don't worry, I will.

But in all honesty, I don't even think the upgrade is worth the $60. I've been using the 8R for a few weeks now and do really like the radio. I have NOT been using the DR much because I'm VERY lazy and have no way to program it with the PC. There is no kit from RT yet for the DR (they say they have it done but Yaesu is asking them to "hold it" until sometime in Feb???) and the 8R software won't talk to it (no surprise, there are a few different menu options and more memory spaces for some things).

I suppose if you REALLY use APRS including messaging a lot then those memory spots might be worth it. SmartBeaconing is the other "big" thing, and it doesn't appear worth it to me. But I was buying a new HT right as they were coming out, so I had one on order. Then I ran across a KILLER craigslist deal on an 8R and decided to grab it, too. And then I found out I couldn't program the DR with the PC (and basically transfer my stuff from my 6R), so I've just been using the 8R and haven't wished for ANY of the DR's extra features (as it sits mostly idle awaiting the ability to get all its memory spots filled).

The only reason I found this "flaw" is because I bought one of those Nifty Manuals for the 8R and found a tiny error in that. I pointed it out to the author and an exchange ensued about the DR and I ended up getting a free copy of the Nifty Manual for it in exchange for some proofing. In going through those new options to make sure everything was correct (since the error I found for him was due to an error in Yaesu's own manual, not his own error!), I found this problem with the DR. *shrug*

So anyway, once I get this worked out you can rest assured that the Nifty Manual (well worth the money for anyone new to Yaesu radios at all) is money well spent, anyway.

--Donnie

Donnie,

I would have to sit down and dig thru the D710 manual to make sure I am right, but this is how I recall the Kenwood works.

If AUTO is select and SMART-BEACONING is off AUTO uses the time you have selected in another menu option. Something like 3,5, 10 and 15 minutes between beacons. If SMART-BEACONING is on then it used the speed you are traveling and the rate you are changing your course in degrees per second or minute to determine how often to transmit. Which is another menu option you can change.

If SMART-BEACONING is enabled and working I can't really tell unless I am moving and notice the beacons transmissions in relationship to my speed and turn rate changes. Otherwise I would be seeing a beacon at regular timed intervals if off.

It might be the manual is completely wrong/misleading in that area like you found before. Of course I have an apple and you an orange so their manual might be spot on and something else is going on.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

Mike KE5VYU

Love the sig. I'm a big REK fan. :)

I get what you're saying, and I suppose it's possible, but the 8R isn't that old and they added all this SmartBeaconing stuff to the DR (and the accompanying manual) so it's not *that* likely that it's that far off, I wouldn't think. Of course, stranger things have happened. And it seems odd that I'd be the first one to find such a bold problem with the documentation, too, since ANYONE wanting to enable this feature and reading the manual to do it would have hit this stumbling block.

It's possible that they did decide to change the behavior to *only* require you to change the 24 SmartBeaconing menu option to one of the three modes (there are four positions in that menu...Off, Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3) and then be in "auto" on 14 Beacon TX and you get SmartBeaconing. But they royally hosed the manual if that's the case AND the guys in tech support have no idea this change was made, either. Again, all entirely possible, I suppose. But until support gets one in their hands and either tells me I'm wrong or they find the same behavior and confirm with the developers that the manual is wrong, I'm stuck in limbo. My only close APRS digipeater is so weak at receiving that I don't think I could drive around it and get enough packets to it to know if I'm sending on a timer or via "smarter" algorithms. :(

Hopefully they can sort it out soon so N6FN can get his DR Nifty Manual on the market, at least. It's not affecting me terribly much personally...

--Donnie

Donnie,

Having a good GPS lock is all you need so the algorithms knows the changes from position to position and are they above or below the speed or turn rate. AUTO timed set for 15 minutes the beacons (red light on radio) should be 15 minutes apart regardless of stationary or moving. With smart-beaconing on, depending on what the turn rate threshold is set to if you drive around the block and make 90 degree turns you should have a beacon at every turn.

That's the theory... :D

Another theory is the group that writes the software code and the group that writes the manual are in constant real-time communications. Well... that the theory on that too. :cry:

Mike KE5VYU

...My only close APRS digipeater is so weak at receiving that I don't think I could drive around it and get enough packets to it to know if I'm sending on a timer or via "smarter" algorithms. ...
--Donnie

Checklist

I think you missed one setting. Here is what you need before the Smart Beacon will show:

1) GPS attached and locked
2) Smart Beacon (menu 24) set to 1 of 3 types
3) My Position (Menu 21) set to GPS *I think you missed this*

Now you should be able to select Smart Beaconing.

Good Luck!

Arrrrgh!

n1plh was right. Somehow I had Menu 21 on a fixed position through all that. Changed it to GPS and all was good. And no, I'm not so stupid as to think the fixed position SHOULD have worked, I just overlooked that one. I generally keep it on "GPS" but I had set it to a location during a DIFFERENT test of some APRS stuff and forgot to put it back.

But for the record, I never heard back from Yaesu customer support, either. Not great in my book.

Now if RT would get clearance from Yaesu to release their software upgrade so that I can actually program the dadgum thing, I'd be in heaven. I haven't cared about problems with the DR so much since I can't really use it yet anyway.

--Donnie

Good!
I've just contacted RT customer service... they are waiting Yaesu feedback to release the upgrade (will downloadable as free upgrade for registered users).
They also told me that in the next 2 weeks they could release it.
I hope....

1) VX-8DR upgrade released by RT Systems :drool:
2) about SmartBeaconing: just contacted Yaesu because I was confused reading p.167 of Operating Manual, they confirmed to me that Type1 refers to Vehicle (instead of people Walking) and Type3 refers to Walking....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.