• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8GR vs VX-8DR vs TH-D72A

nineback

Dec 21, 2010
I thought i had made up my mind to buy a VX-8DR. The more I read the more I don't know. I am looking for a general purpose handi that will be used extensively for APRS. I can't tell if the 8GR and 8DR with the GPS have the same APRS features. I believe the 8DR has broadband receive where as the GR has the built in antenna but don't know if one has better APRS features.

Then there is the D72 that seems to be getting good reviews and I assume is in direct competition with the VX-8GR.

If you were looking for a new APRS capable handi and not worried about cost what would you buy?

Tom
KQ5S

I made that decision 6 days ago. I went with the D72.

I think it has a better APRS capability along with full a full fledged TNC. It also has a real usb port. I don't have any computers with serial ports any more so usb was a plus. Also, I don't have to buy a cable and software because the software is free from kenwood.

Also, kenwood has made this radio field firmware upgradeable. They have already put out one update.

Thanks. I am leaning the same way for the reasons you mentioned. The ability to upgrade the firmware could be critical down the road. I like the broad band recieve of the DR but have not read good reviews about reception outside the normal ham bands.

Tom

I made that decision 6 days ago. I went with the D72.

I think it has a better APRS capability along with full a full fledged TNC. It also has a real usb port. I don't have any computers with serial ports any more so usb was a plus. Also, I don't have to buy a cable and software because the software is free from kenwood.

Also, kenwood has made this radio field firmware upgradeable. They have already put out one update.

If APRS was the only factor, I would go with the VX8GR because right now its 160 cheaper at gigaparts. But when you say cost is not a factor, go with the Kenwood. It can do full duplex, digipeat, good battery life, and a metal belt clip. It is larger and heavier than the VX8GR but does a good job working the FM satellites with the Arrow or Elk antenna, if you ever want to try it.

I do think that the DR and GR have very similar APRS features when you get the GPS for the DR, there was a comparison chart on a few websites.

Keep in mind that the Kenwood does not offer general RX coverage, if that is important to you.

Refer to this post for major features that the Yaesu line offers that the Kenwood does not:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handital...d72-2m-440-aprs-handitalkie-4.html#post250156

If you want the most full featured APRS capabilities, the Kenwood is it. If you want a swiss army knife of HT's, the Yaesu is the one. The Yaesu does not give you direct access to the TNC and does not digipeat. Other than that, it covers pretty much any other APRS function you need to do APRS tracking and messaging.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.