• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R AA battery

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
I have a AA battery pack. I don't like it because when I use it, I can only have 1W output.

Can I increase output by changing the type of batteries I am feeding the battery pack?

I was thinking something like Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion
Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

The other part of me is thinking that the VX-8R doesn't have a way of regulaing the 3.6V down to something more reasonable.

And I don't have my multi-meter here to measure the voltage coming out of the standard VX-8R battery.

The standard battery is 7.4 volts (says so in on the battery and in the manual). I actually see about 8.5 volts on a multimeter with a full charge.

The manual does say that at 4.5 volts (what the AA battery pack supplies) you only get 1 watt out. It also says that the battery pack is designed to only handle alkaline batteries. Regardless, I bet that you could use some higher voltage batteries. The ones you suggested will deliver too many volts, though. You'll want a battery combination that delivers around 7-8 volts total.

I am looking high and low for more powerful batteries. I have even considered only using 1 or 2 batteries with a dummy battery or 2.

I have a feeling this is a dead end project.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.