• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R/DR vs. VHF Marine HT

depark

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 17, 2010
Kelowna, BC
Here is a question, of those of you that have done the extended TX Mod on your VX-8R/DR has anyone compared the performance of the marine frequencies to that of a dedicated VHF Marine HT? If so what was the outcome? I am going to do the mod to my radio if the results are fairly comparable. Thanks

Regardless of the results, remember that it is illegal to use any amateur ht out of band, as in marine vhf. It is done, but it is illegal all the same.:whistle:

Doing the mod to your radio won't hurt it. The performance should be extremely similar. One benefit of the marine HT is that it will (should) have a monoband antenna tuned specifically for the small range of frequencies used for that service. Goodluck and if "your friend" does any tests, post the results.

jcm

Hi, I extended mine and it works well as far as I used it a bit. I am questionning about the fact I cannot TX while using its specific Marine pre-programmed portion which would be great because of pre-programmed channel with freq. (excepted by using DW fonction, which last is disturbing for small). Tks in advance for those can help...
kind regards,

I have used it on Marine, but you have to set VFO A to the input, and VFO B to another frequency to be able to talk on marine. It worked ok. I had an aftermarket antenna and a counterpoise and I was able to reach 5-10 miles with mine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.