• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R MARS/CAP Mod question

sapper326

Feb 2, 2009
Steep Falls, Maine
Does performing the MARS/CAP Mod to the VX-8R change any other characteristics to the radio? Does it possibly affect the RX sensitivity? The reason I ask is I have 2 VX-8s and one has had the Mod performed. With both radios attached to the same model antennas sitting side by side the one with Mod does not exhibit the same RX capabilities. When listening to a local repeater the one without the Mod receives with an S-Level of 4 while the one with the MOD is barely achieving an S-Level of 1. I was just curious to see if anyone who has performed the Mod has experienced this. On another note I have found that with the Mod done, cloning the radio is a no go. Seems that the cloning procedure is looking for the resistor in both the destination and source radios.

It didn't seem to make any difference on my radio. Of course, I don't have two of them side by side to compare, but it all seems normal to me.

I spoke to Yaesu today and the radio is going back for service. Obviously not covered under the warranty but from what the technician said it is probably just a simple repair. The more I tested the radio the more I found it to be an issue with VHF frequencies alone. UHF and 6 meter work fine but 2 meter was absolutely horrid for reception. The transmit seems to work fine but I only got 1 bar on the s meter from a repeater less than 7 miles away.

I did the mod based upon moleculos writeup. The radio works great before and after the mod.

Last edited:
Sapper,

After doing the mod, I am still receiving full strength signals from about 30 miles away and getting good audio reports.

I suspect you have a defective radio. The first one I had was sent back for a number of manufactures defects. The second one is working well so far.

BTW- has anybody noticed an audible "pop" whenever the radio is turned on and occassionally when other buttons are pressed? it's the only radio I have ever owned that does this. I find it a little annoying.

Regards,
Scott

BTW- has anybody noticed an audible "pop" whenever the radio is turned on and occassionally when other buttons are pressed?
Not when I turn it on, but yes...when certain buttons are pressed. I've seen others mention this on the internet, as well.

Mine does the audible pop as well. Not when I turn it on but when I am transmitting. It will make the pop sound and then my speaker sound seems to go to sounding tinny. Also some of the buttons have a different beep sound, just slightly different tone wise. I don't know if my radio was not correct prior to the mod or not. I checked operation before the mod but did not do a side to side comparison. It did not occur to me that something was wrong until I noticed certain repeaters that I could pick up with my other radio I could not pick up with the radio with the mod. That is when I compared side to side.

Well I got my radio back and it now receives better than my other VX-8R. I could not be happier with the service Yaesu provided. It was literally a 3 day turn around from when they received the radio. And I was surprised to see that even though it had the MARS/CAP mod they still covered it 100% under the warranty. This radio rocks and Yaesu rocks as well!

Mine receives just as it did before the mod, as far as the cloning after I did the mod all the memories were wiped out so I tried to move them all back on with the RT Systems software and it came up with an error. I tried again about thirty minuets later and it loaded them just fine.

I am Not surprised Yeasu covered it under warranty even though you had it moded..

They make it Extremely easy to Mod knowing there is legit need to mod it..
As such all performance is kept both before and after the mod.

even though Yeasu.Kenwood and Icom (as well as Ten Tec and Alinco)..know they have to be reasonable..even though they claim moding their radios for stuff like mars will nullify the warranty..

really though they simply want only qualified people to do the mods..so they know the mod is done correctly

Failed mod to xt on air band. Please Help

When I try to restart by pressing HM/RV + MENU power on, nothing happens, the radio just turns on normally. I hear that this mod does not apply to some US versions. Can I have some help on how to tx on the air band. Thanks

1 Power on

2 set MODE (press and hold MENU)

3 # 21 CWID

4 turn CWID (on)

5 Push "MODE"

6 Turn DIAL to A, push "MODE"

7 Turn DIAL to H, push "MODE"

8 repeat 6-7, to type in "AH029M"

9 Push "SET" to get out of set mode

10 Power off

11 Push HM/RV + MENU power on

12 Turn Dial to choose MODE ***

13 Push Function

14 Power off

15 Power on

You can reverse this change by repeating the above and selection B3 instead of ***, cycle between B1 and B3 by pressing MODE

Mine receives just as it did before the mod, as far as the cloning after I did the mod all the memories were wiped out so I tried to move them all back on with the RT Systems software and it came up with an error. I tried again about thirty minuets later and it loaded them just fine.

I'm getting the error and won't load on mine. Any suggestions?

Never mind, I needed to get the new data from radio first and then reload it. My Bad.
It was even saying information has changed. I was a little worried there for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I've noticed that when the Radio starts making 'pops' and 'crackling' when I push a button the radio has been through a large pressure swing. By pulling the cap on either the EXT/DC or Ear connectors the pressure inside and outside can equalize and the "popping" goes away till next time (usually a few days and new weather).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.