• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W2IHY 8 Band EQ and EQPlus Video Review

I spoke with Julius (W2IHY) on the phone last night who just watched the video. He really liked it and also provided a tip and a clarification. The tip was to not use compression on the rig itself while using the W2IHY gear. He said that most rigs' compression rolls off frequencies below 300Hz so you lose some audio quality when you do that. The clarification he made was to the Delay function on the EQPlus. He said a better way to explain it's function is that it alters the "tail affect" of the audio, although he mentioned that it's really being picky and the explanation I gave was "good enough" :laugh:. I'll take that...I'm not an audio expert!

He also mentioned some new products that he's coming out with, as well as some of the features of the iPlus. I would really like to get an iPlus so I can run this gear into more than one rig. Maybe that will be next.

Reactions: Old_Crow
You wouldn't likely see much benefit to actual signal efficiency using the rig's compressor after an EQPlus has already been applied.

The EQPlus may not be particularly audible when it's compressor is heavily applied, but it's because it uses a really decent analog devices IC to do it...as in pro-audio level compression. They are made to not color the audio.

A lot of guys generically speaking, seem to think the EQPlus isn't compressing enough simply because they expect it to sound a certain way. It's an amazingly effective compressor.

What I do with my rig's proc after my rack gear is for 20m or very noisy conditions. I just dial in minimal proc level on the rig and punch the button as a rolloff when I don't want such a wide (normally I'm about 3k) signal. It serves as more of a TX EQ setting for me. On my TS-2000 it brings me back closer to 2.4k just by engaging the proc.

Using the EQplus for the last 4 years, MD-1 microphone from Yaesu on the Ft 847 with Collins filters.
Speaking 2 inches from the microphone, always getting unsollicitated good modulation reports.
No R.F.I, even runing well over 1 KW on 160 - 10.

Good show making the video.
;)

I just bought a Ten-Tec 715 and now you I want I an EQ Plus!!! N+1 is contagious. What a great review! Thanks for sharing!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.