• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wait till Dayton or Buy D710 now

kf4mnc

Jan 2, 2011
As the title indicates I am looking at purchasing a new Kenwood D710. I just sold one of my TH-D72a handhelds to help fund the purchase. I had originally considered the Yaesu FT-350, but since it is now discontinued, I don't see the point in buying one. I looked at what the replacement will be and doubt I will want to sink that kind of money into it. I like the D710 due to the features, as well as how long it has been on the market. My concern, however, is that it has been on the market for some time. So I am thinking about waiting till atleast after the Dayton Hamvention to make my purchase just in case Kenwood or even Yaesu comes out with a new rig (I doubt Icom will release anything that is APRS friendly).

What are your thoughts? Buy now, or wait? Anyone seen or heard about any new radios from Kenwood?

Last edited:

You have to keep in mind that I'm a Kenwood fan, so I'm a little prejudiced. If you don't mind the wait, you could get one at Dayton. Or just get it now and use it till Dayton, sell it IF you think you've found something you would like better. Personally, I think you'll keep it. Really, how would you improve the '710? (Read first sentence again.)
- 'Doc

Thanks for the quick reply. I like the radio a lot, just don't wanna buy one and kenwood come out with something new. Unless yaesu comes out with something amazing that i can afford I will definitely be getting the d710. I really want to mess with digital, but don't want to spend the money and really enjoy aprs.

Anyway, anyone hear anything about kenwood releasing a new radio?

I actually searched a few weeks back to see if there was any indication that Kenwood would be putting out a replacement for the TM-D710 after seeing Yaesu's new APRS rig. I couldn't find any indicators that there was anything in the works to replace the 710.

I was on the fence between a 710 or the FT-350 last year. I bought the 710 and I absolutely love it. While a little pricey for a dual band, It's a ton of radio and does just about anythign you'd want to do with a dual band TNC equipped rig. IMO, the price is well worth it. I agree with W5LZ, there's not much to be improved on the 710. Touchscreen would be nice but, you'd pay for it.

It sounds like you still have a TH-D72. You can use the 72 a wireless remote to control the 710 (a feature among many that I've yet to mess with).

Disclaimer: I'm also a Kenwood fan so take it for what it's worth.

I actually searched a few weeks back to see if there was any indication that Kenwood would be putting out a replacement for the TM-D710 after seeing Yaesu's new APRS rig. I couldn't find any indicators that there was anything in the works to replace the 710.

I was on the fence between a 710 or the FT-350 last year. I bought the 710 and I absolutely love it. While a little pricey for a dual band, It's a ton of radio and does just about anythign you'd want to do with a dual band TNC equipped rig. IMO, the price is well worth it. I agree with W5LZ, there's not much to be improved on the 710. Touchscreen would be nice but, you'd pay for it.

It sounds like you still have a TH-D72. You can use the 72 a wireless remote to control the 710 (a feature among many that I've yet to mess with).

Disclaimer: I'm also a Kenwood fan so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the reply. I am also interested in the sky command feature, as well as aprs digi peating from the handheld to the mobile when I'm out hiking.

I appreciate and agree with your comments. I. Think I'm going to wait till the convention just I case something is released and incase I find. One for sale cheaper than usual.

Kenwood does not replace their radios every couple of years like some other manufacturers. I say if you like the 710, go ahead and buy it, learn all of its features, and use it. You won't be sorry.

If you are going to Dayton anyhow, wait until you are there to buy, it will be MUCH cheaper with the show special. You will have to get it shipped to you from the show to avoid the taxes, most of the big dealers ship for free saving even more so it will not be an issue, except for the couple day wait ^^ ab v c^^

Kenwood does not replace their radios every couple of years like some other manufacturers. I say if you like the 710, go ahead and buy it, learn all of its features, and use it. You won't be sorry.

I understand what you are saying, just thought since it was several years old it might be worth it to wait. Mainly just fishing to see if anyone had heard anything.

If you are going to Dayton anyhow, wait until you are there to buy, it will be MUCH cheaper with the show special. You will have to get it shipped to you from the show to avoid the taxes, most of the big dealers ship for free saving even more so it will not be an issue, except for the couple day wait ^^ ab v c^^

Happy, that sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.