• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Waiting For "Conditions" Is Like....

Yankee

Apr 15, 2013
Watching paint dry.

Waiting for glue to set.

Waiting for my ship to come in.

Counting to 100, getting to 63 and realizing you skipped 8.

Singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall. Over and over.

Looking for the remote.

Watching grass grow. :love:

If I would have learned more Spanish in school maybe all this Mexico on the air waves would be enjoying. All it sounds like to me is the same thing over and over with mega roger beeps.

Reactions: 2 people
I run a dipole here, in sloper configuration. Because of the lay of the land, power wires running overhead and no antenna rules in the trailer park, it's about the only thing I can get away with. I have learned to aim it, sort of, and the only way not blocked by big hills or canyon walls is South and West. I am getting a lot of stuff from Mexico. So much that I was thinking of continuing my studies in it. It would be great practice, and it would only be fair that I drive them as crazy as they drive me. ;)

Reactions: 2 people
Why wait for "conditions"? Conditions are everywhere, on all bands, all the time. Sometimes they're conducive to long-distance communications; other times not so much.

If you really wanted "good" conditions, you should have been around in 1957-1962 or so. DXCC in a weekend on 10CW. Next weekend, DXCC on 10AM. I'm glad I was here when it happened; it's likely not going to happen again in my lifetime.

And yes, I have the QSLs. Paper ones. Not much LOTW in the early '60s...:whistle:

Reactions: 1 person
I am waiting on a NOS 2985dx, in the mean time, I use a little wire dipole and a 980ssb barefoot mobile rig with no amp. And I still talk to places I once thought were totally out of reach, and all on 11 meter channels.

Got the big radio coming though, and trying to decide what would be a good amp to use with it. I'm having fun, but right now, it has to come to me. :)

NOS = New Old Stock. I am waiting for a 2985dx, new in the box, but been sitting unused for years. Can't wait to hook it up.

I have been playing on 17 meters the past few days when I can,and that band has been open till after 9 PM central time...hopefully that will climb up to 10 meters as well (y)

I'm a newbie to DX and skip. I have a mental picture of how bounce works that I think is right, but it's frustrating not being able to predict when it will open up. It seems weather has very little to do with it. I have talked skip in thunderstorms, and in sunny conditions and after dark here. But not late at night. Up to about 9:30 pm my time.

But your comments open up a new train of thought now. I never considered that other frequencies might or might not be affected in the same way as as 11 meters. For some reason, only the CB channels hold any interest for me. I don't have or have the time to study for a license, so it's out of reach and I wouldn't transmit on them anyway. So I have no recent experience with them, although, my dad was a Ham and I loved to listen in.

All we ever hear is mexico when skip is in and that is annoying until my radio goes "click" and then I find something else to do.
I would rather hear nothing than mexico with their assorted single, double, triple, and quadruple roger beeps.
I did hear the motormaul idiot the other day....that is one asshole who is even worse to listen to than mexico, but at least he is only on 1 channel.

I feel the same way about listening to mind numbing endless static. I usually squelch it when I monitor 38 lsb. But even mexico is getting through on that channel these days, and 37, 39, 40 and even 1. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.