• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted: 3 sweep tube or larger mobile amp

Enterprise312ok

Jun 12, 2022
Just wanted to see what is out there. I really like the palomar 310m and the varmint xl 400 and xl 600. Wanting some old school heat to go behind my cobra 138xlr.
Dont really have the cash just yet but I Like something to work towards. I am in oklahoma but willing to pay shippimg if no local options.

Running an amp in the car leads to so many issue especially with today pieces of junk. Just make sure you bond and ground everything
Yes my daily driver is a 95 f150 so not as many issues as some of the newer ones lol. Have an old outcom/texas star dx600 in there now I just really like the tubes.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Yes my daily driver is a 95 f150 so not as many issues as some of the newer ones lol. Have an old outcom/texas star dx600 in there now I just really like the tubes.
If you are running the DX 600, I doubt you will be happy putting tubes in your mobile.
You are not going to gain much unless you double your output, and it's going to be a task to do that.
With transistors you would have to step up to at least a sweet 16 to make a real difference.
With tubes you will need a lot of work, and most old sweep tube amps are really not suited to bouncing around in a pickup, the mobile environment is just not nice for hollow state amps.
I fear you are going to invest a lot of time and money and not see the result you are wanting.

Jeff

I can tell you that over the last two weeks there have been 2 Palomar 310m for sale really cheap. Both were sold under $100. The only reason i watched them was maybe for spare parts to use in a Skipper 300 but found another way for its parts. Also last week Goodwill had a cheap one also. Good luck.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Ok wait, you want to run a television sweep tube amp in your car? Did i read this thread right? If so, there are so many things wrong with that, yikes! Hahaha, sweep tubes

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
If you are running the DX 600, I doubt you will be happy putting tubes in your mobile.
You are not going to gain much unless you double your output, and it's going to be a task to do that.
With transistors you would have to step up to at least a sweet 16 to make a real difference.
With tubes you will need a lot of work, and most old sweep tube amps are really not suited to bouncing around in a pickup, the mobile environment is just not nice for hollow state amps.
I fear you are going to invest a lot of time and money and not see the result you are wanting.

Jeff
Not really wanting to increase output, My wife talks too and I could upgrade her mobile frome a kl203 to the dx 600. I like the Idea of a tube mobile because my 138xlr rocks my 7 tube eagle 500 keying 4 swinging 12. I like old radios, old amps and old trucks.

btw for everyone who says the tubes are bleedover boxes I think its the radios. My wife can talk on the eagle and I can barely hear any bleedover 1 channel over sitting in driveway. (but I can hear her in my extention speaker with the radio off ;)

Not that it will bleed over, it's just the rough treatment that tubes have to endure.
I had a PAL 350 mdx with 8950 tubes in it in a old Datsun pickup one time and it ate tubes and fuses.
I would go off road bouncing around and stop and turn the amp on and it would blow the fuse.
Pull the tubes, and find one or more shorted.
That was not so bad when they were $12 bucks each at Thrifty but I would hate to do that when they are $60 bucks if you can even find them.
They have thin wires spot welded inside the tubes that do not play well with hard hits bouncing around in a pickup.
I guess if you only drive down nice smooth pavement it would be less hazardous.

Best of luck.

Jeff

Not that it will bleed over, it's just the rough treatment that tubes have to endure.
I had a PAL 350 mdx with 8950 tubes in it in a old Datsun pickup one time and it ate tubes and fuses.
I would go off road bouncing around and stop and turn the amp on and it would blow the fuse.
That was not so bad when they were $12 bucks each at Thrifty but I would hate to do that when they are $60 bucks if you can even find them.
They have thin wires spot welded inside the tubes that do not play well with hard hits bouncing around in a pickup.

Best of luck.

Jeff
Had not thought about that part of it, but I still want one, just like I wanted to restore my 138xlr Instead of buying a sryker or anytone both fine radios and probably better in many ways than the 138. Just hoping to find one here rather than a overpriced untested ebay unit. My local tech has various tubes from old buyouts so I would even consider a nice unit without tubes.

Best of luck.

Jeff
60 bucks? for 8950 they are going for OVER $100 each!

In some amps you can substitute these 20lf6 for the 8950 with minor rewireing and I have aeen pull outs listed as low as $35 on other sights, these are what my eagle 500 runs.

Not really wanting to increase output, My wife talks too and I could upgrade her mobile frome a kl203 to the dx 600. I like the Idea of a tube mobile because my 138xlr rocks my 7 tube eagle 500 keying 4 swinging 12. I like old radios, old amps and old trucks.
Not trying to be an ass but why do you feel the need for an amp?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.