• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WANTED: Picture of Cobra 2000 clarifier

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
If anyone happens to have their Cobra 2000 opened up - could I trouble you to take a nice picture of that dual clarifier and how it's wired? Mine has been replaced with a precision pot. I finally found a 1k/20k dual potentiometer and was considering switching it back to all original but whoever did the precision-pot mod just cut out the original and left the wires, (or at least I think that's the clarifier wires). I can probably figure it out with my schematic, but a picture is far better and easier.

Having some pics of an original configuration would be nice to have around now that I'm restoring the old girl. I've found some but they don't get real close with the front end controls and wiring. And of course my SAMS is a black-and-white photocopy, so that does me absolutely no good. Most pics you find on the net are of mods and the main board.

I also have to wonder what the person did with the original clarifier... Probably tossed it in the part bin or Lord forbid... the trash! Like many obsolete radio parts... they had no clue what they would be worth in the future!
Dang... I need to finish that time machine I've been working on since I was 12 or so... lol.

Thanks!

i have 2 of them side by side putting them back to stock here is a pic of what you need can you send me a pic of the toggle switchboard where the wires ar attach on the solder side they use the switches for channels i'm putting back to stock your clarifier wire might be diff color 20220903_161318.jpg

Reactions: unit_399
ShakyMcQuiver,

my advice is to proceed slowly with this clarifier project. All of the 10 turn pots i have seen for this application have a larger diameter threaded section and require the radio to be drilled out.
because of this, centering a stock pot in that location may prove difficult.
you might have to get some very specific washers to accomplish what you want.
best to look into that before you get too far along.

to add to this, there are usually a few circuit mods that get done on the PC board when switching from the dual control to an unlocked 10 turn pot, and wires could be placed in different places than they used to be.

again, don't start desoldering anything until you can see the whole picture, which could be quite blurry.
hint: the switch PC board might be involved.

might i ask why you are going back to stock?
while i understand the desire for a restored looking stock radio, the 10 turn pot, if installed and modded correctly, is a superior part over the stock pot.
your radio will be more stable, and have a finer, more even tuning control with the 10 turn pot than the stock pot configuration ever would.
LC

Reactions: DoctorAudio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.