1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted straight 4 pill base amp

Discussion in 'CB Radio Gear SwapShop' started by okie, May 19, 2020.

1. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

Im hearing good reports about the HG 2879 "C" transistors. Rumor has it some of the more known builders are using them more with better reports from customers. Screenshot_20200523-174116.png

357magnum likes this.

2. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

I’m sure a lot of folks do. For me the juice isn’t worth the squeeze; you know how the saying goes. They do what I need to do driven at baby levels and do it quite well. Of course...I’m not lucky enough to have Toshibas, at least in this amp.

I’d love to see someone do an power in/power out chart, say from 40-150 watts, for the 1600. I know there’s a point of very diminishing returns in there somewhere, and I tend to think it would be well south of 150w.

357magnum and Tokin like this.
  3. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

When well known builder/operators tell me they have never hit their 16 pill toshiba amps with more than a 100w dk theres good reasons and I paid attention.
    Just looking at RF Parts and their toshibas are $100/each. The squeeze is definitely not worth the juice. If you still need mopowah start looking at a russian toob(s) build maybe and selling the pill amp. More bang for the buck.
    As I posted yesterday rumor has it builders like 123 and Gatekeeper are using the 150w pep HG 2SC2879"C" version more and seem to be having better reports from customers. I found one video from Carlbuilt

#18 Tokin, May 24, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 5:31 PM
    144inBama and 357magnum like this.
  4. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

357magnum likes this.
  5. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

When folks obsess about max output I tell them to crank up the drive untill it blows and the back it off a hair.

Much like torquing the screws on a plastic receptacle cover...back off a quarter turn when you hear the crackle.

6. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

If I cant do dabs off my sweep toobs im not driving them hard enough hahaha! Smoke em if you got em!