• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Washington 878pll

Nov 2, 2015
I just picked up an older Washington in really great shape, also got some kinda scout amp from a storage room. This Washington has something that doesn't look right. "See attached picture. It's labeled c104. I was wondering if this had anything to do with the recive. The rx sounds very narrow and tiny. It also won't rx very will with the NB pushed in. Any ideas?

I also got a scout box that appears to be 4tubes driving 4tubes, from what I have read. But it's very hard to find any information about the box.

Attachments

• 1457491309087-625574255.jpg
    1457491309087-625574255.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 1457491485852-2056951811.jpg
    1457491485852-2056951811.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 26

... I just picked up an older Washington in really great shape,
Sounds like a typical eBay listing pitch ... until you get it home and open it up. What you are seeing is 30 year old electrolytics in action ... leaking action that is. You will need to take it to your local tech and have them replace all the electrolytics in the unit. Expect to pay $75-100 for this service. Or, you can purchase one of my kits and do it yourself if you have the chops to do so.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=141433856683

Reactions: Robb and wavrider
Yeah, the very reason I don't buy used from eBay, unless a return is available. I understand un truthful people have made that hard for sellers. I won't even buy anything new from eBay with out accepted returns. Just the way I am.
I try out everything before buying used equipment, if not I assume its in non working order, and pay as such.
I was given this amp, radio and speaker. I did re cap my cobra 2k, it was fun at 1st, then it was just work.

Its just glue they use during assembly.
The NB could be rewired for extras or it works good.
Make sure your rf gain in max
I thought it might be glue, I have never seen this much before. I can soder, and have re caped a radio. I just have not seen a cap that has failed so i wouldn't know.

It really sounds like poo when the NB switch is closed. Where I'm at there is a little noise that this radio is picking up. With the NB closed it cuts out the noise, but the recive is poo. The rf is wide open and seems to work correctly. I was hoping someone would know what c104 is used for. It's 330uf 10v.

Thanks
TomTom

from the age of the radio and the pic you left you need to recap this radio as K Mike mentioned. change all the electro caps then see what is wrong with it if any thing. no need to try to pull a cap here and there. wrong thing to do.

you may have. not all bad caps have visible signs and will look the same as the good ones.
I never really thought about like that
from the age of the radio and the pic you left you need to recap this radio as K Mike mentioned. change all the electro caps then see what is wrong with it if any thing. no need to try to pull a cap here and there. wrong thing to do.
Yes I have caps coming. Being a master Electrican, I understand the only fact about electricity is that it's all based on theory. That's what makes it intriguing, I always want to know how and why. I will find out (learn) what c104 is for.

Yeah, the very reason I don't buy used from eBay, unless a return is available. I understand un truthful people have made that hard for sellers. I won't even buy anything new from eBay with out accepted returns. Just the way I am.
I try out everything before buying used equipment, if not I assume its in non working order, and pay as such.
I was given this amp, radio and speaker. I did re cap my cobra 2k, it was fun at 1st, then it was just work.

If you bought a decent old school radio from E-Bay and paid a fair price I don't see what the problem is? In that case why should the seller offer you money back on 30 year old used electronics? Unless the seller flat out lied or really misrepresented the item I don't see a foul committed. Many buyers on e-bay have unrealistic expectations and can be a pain to deal with. A buyer like that is just as bad as some of the crooked sellers.

I am curious, I have heard of the 858PLL and the 8719PLL. What is an 878PLL?

Last edited:
If you bought a decent old school radio from E-Bay and paid a fair price I don't see what the problem is? In that case why should the seller offer you money back on 30 year old used electronics? Unless the seller flat out lied or really misrepresented the item I don't see a foul committed. Many buyers on e-bay have unrealistic expectations and can be a pain to deal with. A buyer like that is just as bad as some of the crooked sellers.
That's alot of if's...the post a replied too was about a typical eBay pitch. Is it wrong to expect to get a a radio in really great shape if that is how it's posted? I understand the crooks have ruined most people from accepting returns. I have never had to return anything. I have only had a few things returned to me in my dealings. Not say I have not got burned. That's just the way it is. I have about 1300 ebay transactions. 60/40 buying/selling 99.9% positive feedback in 10 years. Like I said dishonest people have that what it is, not me. I have been lucky to having dealt with honest people 99.9% of the time.

I never really thought about like that

Yes I have caps coming. Being a master Electrican, I understand the only fact about electricity is that it's all based on theory. That's what makes it intriguing, I always want to know how and why. I will find out (learn) what c104 is for.
I just looked at schematic and C104 is in the receive circuit just after the 33 Ohm 1Watt current limiting resistor on the receive side of K2 of the relay, it goes right to ground so I'm assuming its helps in sudden draws on the receive circuit. I'm just guessing though. its in parallel with C105 and D28, CZ092 Zener diode 9.1 volt 1W rating(data sheet)

I am curious, I have heard of the 858PLL and the 8719PLL. What is an 878PL

I am curious, I have heard of the 858PLL and the 8719PLL. What is an 878PLL?
I'm guessing typo :)

I just looked at schematic and C104 is in the receive circuit just after the 33 Ohm 1Watt current limiting resistor on the receive side of K2 of the relay, it goes right to ground so I'm assuming its helps in sudden draws on the receive circuit. I'm just guessing though. its in parallel with C105 and D28, CZ092 Zener diode 9.1 volt 1W rating(data sheet)

Thanks that's makes me feel better. That will be the 1st cap I replace, then test to see if that was the recive problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.