• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Washington no swing

DR456

Jan 23, 2017
Baton Rouge Louisiana
I have a Uniden Washington 8719 pll /pc385 board. This radio was working fine with a 3w deadkey swinging to 12w on a/m. Talking on it when a friend told me that one minute it was swinging and the next it just a deadkey. R104 was already cut. Any idea what is causing this?

is it still just keying 3 watts, does SSB work, have you tried another mic, does this radio have PA on it so you could see if the audio chip is still good. is it RXing properly? so many things to tell us before any one will be able to help.

Reactions: Robb
I have a Uniden Washington 8719 pll /pc385 board. This radio was working fine with a 3w deadkey swinging to 12w on a/m. Talking on it when a friend told me that one minute it was swinging and the next it just a deadkey. R104 was already cut. Any idea what is causing this?
OK. Thanks for the information. I need to make clear that the radio still transmits on am just fine. 3 watts Out no swing. It was dead keying 3 w and swinging to 12w. What causes the swing to drop off.

DR456,
you need to answer the questions being asked of you in order to get to the root of your problem.

look back at Sonoma's post and answer his questions. then we can start to lead you in the right direction.
LC

OK. Thanks for the information. I need to make clear that the radio still transmits on am just fine. 3 watts Out no swing. It was dead keying 3 w and swinging to 12w. What causes the swing to drop off.
Ssb does not seem to be receiving. This radio has a channel mod. Clairafier does not slide.
Ssb does not work. Am is fine just no swing. Also this radio has a channel mod with two toggles underneath. I have a channel map. I tried to talk ssb with a friend no signal. I would like to revert the mod but wanted to see if the radio works first. More junk to fix. Wish I could find a good 10 /11 meter base at a good price. Everything I buy is needing work.

These are exceptional radios. But before any mods are done to it, it should be in good repair for best results.

BTW - did you replace C179 yet? Should be done first.

Replacing all of the electrolytic caps in the radio is also recommended since this radio is now 40 years old. The IC's should also be cleaned and re-greased with new heat sink compound. Clean all of the pots with cleaner. Check for bad solder joints; there may be several in this radio due to age. The 10.240mhz reference oscillator xtal may well need to be replaced; seen this a few times. Then a complete alignment.

If you don't want to bother; then you can always sell it as needing repair. Someone will take it and then be willing to go thru the rebuilding process.

Ssb does not seem to be receiving. This radio has a channel mod. Clairafier does not slide.

Ssb does not work. Am is fine just no swing. Also this radio has a channel mod with two toggles underneath. I have a channel map. I tried to talk ssb with a friend no signal. I would like to revert the mod but wanted to see if the radio works first. More junk to fix. Wish I could find a good 10 /11 meter base at a good price. Everything I buy is needing work.
Also changed the clarifier replaced with another 20 kb. No fix.
These are exceptional radios. But before any mods are done to it, it should be in good repair for best results.

BTW - did you replace C179 yet? Should be done first.

Replacing all of the electrolytic caps in the radio is also recommended since this radio is now 40 years old. The IC's should also be cleaned and re-greased with new heat sink compound. Clean all of the pots with cleaner. Check for bad solder joints; there may be several in this radio due to age. The 10.240mhz reference oscillator xtal may well need to be replaced; seen this a few times. Then a complete alignment.

If you don't want to bother; then you can always sell it as needing repair. Someone will take it and then be willing to go thru the rebuilding process.
Rob. I can't find a c179. I see 176,177,178,180?

Front/left side of the radio near the Driver transistor. It is a tantalum capacitor; looks like a small blue jelly bean IIRC. Replace with a 2.2uf 25v electrolytic cap; observe polarity.

Last edited:
Front/left side of the radio near the Driver transistor. It is a tantalum capacitor; looks like a small blue jelly bean IIRC. Replace with a 2.2uf 25v electrolytic cap; observe polarity.
Are we both on the Uniden Washington 8719 with the 385 board. Phillipines model? I don't have a c179 blue cap. They are c61/ c62/ c72 in the front left side.

My mistake; you are right.
Was thinking this was a 858 chassis . . .

If it were my radio, I'd recap it simply because it is old and wouldn't want to play a game of 'find the bad cap' when so many of them are marginal due to age. If nothing else, I'd at least replace all of the 10v caps. At least once it is fixed, you can expect some life expectancy from it.

Last edited:
My mistake; you are right.
Was thinking this was a 858 chassis . . .

If it were my radio, I'd recep it simply because it is old and wouldn't want to play a game of 'find the bad cap' when so many of them are marginal due to age. If nothing else, I'd at least replace all of the 10v caps. At least once it is fixed, you can expect some life expectancy from it.
Yeah Boy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.