• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Water Base Ground Plane?

For anyone wanting to know about all a lowly cber like myself needs to know about antennas and then some get Pratical Antenna Handbook by Joe Carr. Hits on lots of points and tells about all types of antennas. Best 50 bucks ive spent in awhile. Even comes with a antenna design program on cd. Check it out at the bookstore near you. I need to get some kickback on this one from profits on booksales

Another good way is hit up your local machine shop for there metal shavings, most guys recycle them but if you ask they will give you some,Spread them around the ground and they will filter down thru the grass and create a better earth ground, take a while and a few trips but there free usually..cdx418

I like the idea of copper wire mesh, like spider web. I've thought of this idea before Mr. Clean. The reason I wanted the pond idea is because, the first time I pulled my pickup into a lake, I was talking to the Aussie's Like they were local's. As I pulled into the lake I could hear the noise floor go quiet, until all I could hear was voice transmition and almost zero static. I'm going to try it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I tried a differant lake a week ago and talked to hawaii 732, we do have alot of trace minerals(muddy water) :bounce I really do like fish ponds, great ideas and information!!! 73's :idea: Honey, could you go stir the fish pond, again :p

I knew 4040 used that. But, I'm trying to stablize this formula or recreate it at will....Magic just throw a handfull of dust in the air, spray on DX! 73's LB :bounce What the Hell's an oil well? Can ya' buy one? :p

Was up on a parking garage in Evansville Indiana. Lot of rebar and all the cars made a great groundplane. Sounded like I was one of the big boys almost :twisted:

Or....just run a ground plane antenna and don't worry about what's underneath. A ground plane antenna does not care! A ground plane antenna....ready for this....are you sure....MAKES IT'S OWN GROUND PLANE! Hence the name, GOUND PLANE ANTENNA!

Now, if you had a GROUND MOUNTED vertical antenna (like the big AM broadcast stations) or a horizontal mounted beam antenna, then we can talk about ground screens, chemical grounds (and their disadvantages), salt water (and its advantages), etc.

BUT, if you have a ground plane antenna, you are wasting your time other than to ground your tower and radio equipment.

Hummmmm....Large body of water for a ground plane? Needs to be salt water.....Just drive down to the coast, back the back wheels into the Gulf, or Ocean...And knock yourself out! :D

Dont think you can beat that kind of ground plane!...just watch out for "Jaw's"..... :p

Geeeee...wish now I lived on a beach! :idea:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.