• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Water Base Ground Plane?

Apr 27, 2005
Western Oregon
What would be an ideal diameter pond size with an Imax 2000, speaking of the angle of radiation pattern, sittin' dead center in a circular shaped pond? Could the antenna base be at ground level and work at peak efficiency? I'm thinking 4/12 watts would go a long ways with this setup :shock:

So your saying DX, that the first signal wave would hit strong at about 18'ft from the base at ground level(approx.) I'll see if my buddy's got his Imax yet. Thanks DX, I'll try to find a signal meter and take measurments off his antenna. 36' isn't that big of a pond on say a 5 acre parcel of land. Maybe double that and catch the second signal wave :idea:

Red Ranger,
Oh yes, bigger the pond the better. I was just figuring that would be the "least" that I would go in size.
-------------
DXman

I just read in another forum where a fella just parked over a water storage on top of a garage and got good "DX". Well, at least you gave me the ground floor DXman, now I thinking I would start with the size pond that I can at least cast a line and not hit the bank on the otherside :p Of coarse, I'll keep the aquarium salt at the right Ph level for the fish :!: 8)

Ah...well now, about your ground rod, I suppose it's going down into the water right? What's going to happen to your poor fish when lighting should happen to hit? :roll: :roll:
---------------
DXman

There ya' gooo! Lazybones said'er all. We rarely have lightning, its pretty much the same where you are isn't it DX? Maybe I could get some old train rails to bury under the pond liner that would dispurse the lightning in 3 or 4 directions and add some more plane :idea:

I may be wrong but im thinking saltwater would be alot better ground. Regular water would not be much of an improvement.

R.Ranger,
A water ground doesn't really provide any great benifit as opposed to other type grounds. If you happen to live in 'wet' areas, or on a boat, it's reasonable to use a water ground and mount your antenna at ground level (which works fine). If you have the option of mounting your antenna at some higher level (the higher the better) then do so. The benifit being that the antenna is able to 'see' much further, longer distance to the horizon.
If you do mount your antenna over water, forget the ground rod and use a radial system in the water, works much better. Radial systems are hugely better for RF than ground rods in any situation. Sometimes the radials are more work than ground rods, but they still are worth it.
- 'Doc

PS - FWIW - Pure/clean water is an insulator. The 'dirtier' it is, more mineral/salt content, the better a conductor it is. The lower the resistance of 'dirt', or water, the better it works as an RF conductor/ground. Dirt or water is never as good a conductor/ground as metal.

I may be wrong but im thinking saltwater would be alot better ground. Regular water would not be much of an inprovement.
Jeesh havent you heard of people buying tons and tons of salt and pouring it into a lake. See their you go you have salt water. Whats the differance. :roll: :LOL: Fish like their food with salt to. We have to share with mother nature! :p

Red Ranger if you want a great ground take 16 to 30 9 ft long pieces of copper wire and attach and solder it around the edges of copper mesh screen 6 feet square. bury under tower with ground wires going out from tower. Most people use 16 and more is better but you dont gain much after about 30. FCC makes AM radio stations use 120. No Im no antenna guru I just like to read about antennas. Peace!!!

g

Just put your antenna set up on a freeway overpass. That is where I get the best dx and local ground wave rx and tx, it must be all that steel used in the overpasses. It will more than double my rx and tx. Water is a great ground though.

LoneWolf TN

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.