• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

water damaged

panama

Apr 6, 2005
IOWA
home.mchsi.com
no more radios on boats for me but check this out my cobra 29 nwstwx went completly under water and now it transmits fine everybody hears me but i dont have any recieve at all the weather channels all work just like new but the recieve in the cb is gone. also the dimmer dont dim anymore ,other than that it all works , anybody think its a easy fix or is radio junk, any info on how to fix this my self would be very nice of you! thanks panama around iowa back out.

stupid question

I was gonna ask a real dumb question....Salt or fresh water? I see you're in Iowa though.

Take both covers off and set it outside in the hot sun for about 3 or 4 hours with the component side facing down so the water in the cans can come out. If that does'nt work, turn the component side up and try it again. 3 or 4 more hours.
If that doe'snt work, at least you'll know if your'e in danger of a tornado.(y)

Are you sure it's not just the speaker that is ruined from getting all wet? Does the rx meter show any signal?

cobra 29

no the talk back still works and weather comes thru speaker needle dont move unless i key it up then it works this happened a few weeks ago i did dry it out very good with blo dryer then let set for a few days open. but it has no recieve im surprised it even keys but it does thanks for any more info

panama....

Your radio should be wounded , but it has a good chance at survival panama , meter might act up later or now (RX and TX should be OK after a good drying) , a lot of radio boards go through wave soldering machines and are soldered from the bottom up , they are then basically put through a dish washer to wash off rosin flux used for the solder to flow in the first place.

Although some cans will have stickers on the tops during this process and removed later and other parts that could be water damaged are soldered on by hand before they are put into the chassie's. Even SMT boards go through a simlar washing after parts are mechinically applied to the boards as well as other parts that might need soldered on by hand.

Just give it a through drying panama , meters and other parts are replaceable. You should be OK. I've been through hundreds of radios in my time and I've had them that looked like they were buried 6 feet under with mud and water damage ,dead families of cock roaches and bugs I've never seen before, most of them would clean up and work just fine. It's the cock roach radios that can be a test , they short out parts :( although , many times they will lead you to the part that needs to be changed because they fried on it. :drool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.