• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Water in coax

just a thought, when its in place can you completely tin the braid to the opening and really tin it well?solder run all way through the braid? then use great grade rtv silicone and really coat opening well? then tape it. just thinking how to stop wicking. or maybe heat shrink it? you can buy long strips heat shrink nowdays at better automotive parts stores
Something like that was what I was questioning, before the other sealing methods.

Reactions: Rwb
Back in my younger days I would put up and take down my 40 foot free standing tower and all the antennas myself. I had a gin pole for erecting the tower or taking it down and would install a three element tribander, a six element yagi for 6m and an eleven element yagi for 2m all by myself including the hoisting while on the tower. I just needed someone on the ground to attach or disconnect the rope. I don't do that any more and in fact plan to modify the base of my current 64 foot free standing Trylon T-500 to a tilt-over this summer so there will be no more need to climb. Getting old sucks in a lot of ways. I am "only" 61 in June but arthritis has taken it's toll.
It's nice when a guy can just do his own thing and when he wants.
The free standing to tiltover
Sounds like a good plan, I'd guess you'd need a full bottom plate to keep the legs from bending. I actually made some legs with the thought of a tilt but I'm doubting if the legs might cave a bit being still separated.
I hear ya about the arthritis I'm 61 too. Wear and tear from years of weightlifting and work. Shoulder replaced a little over 1 year ago, yep these ole bodies just wear out.

Reactions: Rwb
Sounds like a good plan, I'd guess you'd need a full bottom plate to keep the legs from bending. I actually made some legs with the thought of a tilt but I'm doubting if the legs might cave a bit being still separated.
I hear ya about the arthritis I'm 61 too. Wear and tear from years of weightlifting and work. Shoulder replaced a little over 1 year ago, yep these ole bodies just wear out.

I have a 45' free standing tower...... I knew I wasn't getting any younger or stronger, so I planned all that into the build-out when the tower went up.
We now have a setup where I pull the base pins and the wife connects the ac power to the winch installed on a fulcrum point for that purpose only.
She actually lowers and raises the tower while I standby and monitor the operation.

1714055976749.jpeg

1714056031212.jpeg

1714056081281.jpeg

I have a 45' free standing tower...... I knew I wasn't getting any younger or stronger, so I planned all that into the build-out when the tower went up.
We now have a setup where I pull the base pins and the wife connects the ac power to the winch installed on a fulcrum point for that purpose only.
She actually lowers and raises the tower while I standby and monitor the operation.

View attachment 68519

View attachment 68520

View attachment 68521
That's a tough looking setup.
So I guess that's a pulley about halfway down what looks to be a fairly heavy I-beam and the out to an electric winch motor.
What's the winch attached to? Is it on like a receiver hitch to pop on the back of a pickup and I don't know why I even have that thought.

That's a tough looking setup.
So I guess that's a pulley about halfway down what looks to be a fairly heavy I-beam and the out to an electric winch motor.
What's the winch attached to? Is it on like a receiver hitch to pop on the back of a pickup and I don't know why I even have that thought.
The winch is hard mounted (4 bolt winch base) to the 6 1/2" I-beam.
It is a Warn, 120V AC, 4,000 lb. for straight pull .......
The I-beam is 5' deep into the concrete base.......
The concrete base is 6 1/2 feet deep.....
The tower legs are 6 feet long.......

1714063355186.jpeg

When we installed a connector outside. First connection at the antenna two wraps of 3M 3/4 inch tape then Andrews sealer one wrap formed by hand then cover that with more 3M 2 inch tape first wrap loose (not streched) second wrap tight third 3M 3/4 inch layer loose. the last loose wrap will NOT unravel as a streched wrap.
Same at the bottom at surge arrester then same at last jumper connection from Arrestor to antenna switch inside.
The only purpose of the first wrap of 3M tape is call curtesy wrap. which makes removing the sealer easy when sliced length of weather proofing.
Water/moisture will migrate into coax by heating by sun and cooling at night the sun heats the coax which causes pressure in the coax. the cooling at night sucks in moisture which flows down the coax. So every day cycle a few drops of water adds up over time until it gets forced out at the other end. Even during a sunny day the clouds roll in dumping a rain storm cooling the coax causing vacuum in the coax again a few drops collect.
Sorry about the Rambling along trying to explain but water proofing pays off.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
LOL Check out the specs on a Trylon T-500. No worries about the legs bending. It is 18 inches wide at the top and 42 inches wide at the bottom with HEAVY 60 degree angle legs, not tubular. It will support 52 square feet at the top in a 70 mph wind. The cable attachment point will be about 25 feet up thus taking a big load off the entire system while raising or lowering it. I plan to make a base frame around the bottom using 4 inch angle. Hard to describe exactly but I have it all planned out. I just need to get it down first to modify things. I will likely use the truck to raise or lower it to start off with until I determine the actual pull force required, and then buy a winch. Currently looking at the possibility of a 12-14,000 pound winch to be safe.

LOL Check out the specs on a Trylon T-500. No worries about the legs bending. It is 18 inches wide at the top and 42 inches wide at the bottom with HEAVY 60 degree angle legs, not tubular. It will support 52 square feet at the top in a 70 mph wind. The cable attachment point will be about 25 feet up thus taking a big load off the entire system while raising or lowering it. I plan to make a base frame around the bottom using 4 inch angle. Hard to describe exactly but I have it all planned out. I just need to get it down first to modify things. I will likely use the truck to raise or lower it to start off with until I determine the actual pull force required, and then buy a winch. Currently looking at the possibility of a 12-14,000 pound winch to be safe.
Okay I've had time to look around on the internet and check out your Tower. That's one big nice tower. That's a big ole wind force too.
You've got me go get the tape measure out and figure out just which Rohn Tower I do have.
Apparently it's HDBX48 wind load 18. Silly Rohn site says maximum boom length 10 ft.
Lol . What a joke on my 5 element thoughts that is. Hmm

View attachment 68519

View attachment 68520

View attachment 68521
So now I'm curious what antenna you put up on that one?

I have a 4 element yagi horizontal good for 6m, 10m, and 12m.....
Also have an 80m OCF good for 7 bands.....of course with a tuner......
And also have a tilt plate at the top so the horizontal will stay in horizontal position all the way to the ground .......

Reactions: Keto

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.