• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weak Power Supply/Help

crkfngr

Sep 17, 2008
I bought this power supply off ebay. The guy I bought it from gave me his phone # in the package. I recieved it and tried it out, it would not run my 1 transitor 2290(pill) texas star modular. But it would run a radio ok. It has a plug in board on the side in front of the blue compacitor. I called him and ask him about it. It said he only run a radio, with it and was build by a now silent key in the ham radio.He told me to keep the supply and he refunded my money. It might have been dropped during shipping. I am not tech, It reads 13.73 volts out of the dc terminals. I do not have a way to check amps. I am including some pics and the desc of the item. HELP

This 12 VDC regulated power supply is professionally built using industrial grade components. It is designed with an engineering factor of 1.4. It is rugged and can take a large current load without changing voltage.

Why pay more for a brand name when you can get this power supply for much less.

It has a power on indicating light, an on-off switch and a fused ac power source. It is a 5 amp fuse. Rated input is 600 watts. The output terminals: red + and black -

It will coast at 30 amp output. It will provide 45 amps.

The unit was used to power a Midland 2 meter transceiver and worked very well. It can be used for any radio requiring 12 VDC. CB, Ham, Short Wave, etc.

There is the desc,What is engering factor 1.4? It has ThreeTransitor in the back.

Thanks
Crkfngr

Attachments

• !Btu1qggEWk~$(KGrHqUH-CEEvPZTmQgkBL9Kyv6H5w~~_12.jpg
    !Btu1qggEWk~$(KGrHqUH-CEEvPZTmQgkBL9Kyv6H5w~~_12.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 42
  • !Btu1yzgB2k~$(KGrHqQH-CoEvr,k(BecBL9KzbCr(g~~_12.jpg
    !Btu1yzgB2k~$(KGrHqQH-CoEvr,k(BecBL9KzbCr(g~~_12.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 42
  • !Btu17CwBGk~$(KGrHqMH-DkEvq1,F2ooBL9K0E6)Gw~~_12.jpg
    !Btu17CwBGk~$(KGrHqMH-DkEvq1,F2ooBL9K0E6)Gw~~_12.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 42

How much current (how many amps) does it take to drive that '2290? Whatever that is, it's evidently more than that power supply will supply. I would also say that it's capable of maybe about 7 amps because you say you can run your radio with it.
Just from the looks of it, I would hesitate to think you'd ever get 45 amps out of it, and I think 30 amps would be sort of a stretch maybe. I think you might have a 20 amp supply if you're lucky.
From the offer you were given by the seller, I think he probably figures about the same thing?
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.