• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WebSDR/SDR Hardware/90's Table-Tops - Why Own the SDR Hardware?

Pilot87178d

Jan 17, 2021
Why buy WEB SDR hardware for my computer?

In '66, started with a portable/whip Viscount that Dad bought me as a birthday present....put in the D-cells and went outside to the hood of his black and red Ford Fairlane during the day. Spin that little wheel and there is a shifting BBC! Wow! Then Radio Netherlands and I was all-the-way hooked! Hallicrafters S120 for Christmas and then Drake R8/Icom R75/Grundig YB400/Kenwood R-5000 through the years. Took a break while assigned overseas, but have been back and now running an Eton 1XM attached to an almost 70 ft inverted V long-wire pointed due East-West.

BUT, the world has been evolving....am listening to a local WEB SDR station about 10 miles from my home and with all the wonderful capability that this station's software and the club antenna farm out back, wonder why I would need my own WEB SDR set-up? Would I not enjoy the Enschede Web SDR antenna better, and keep shopping around for other antennas that local to the area of interest?

Will never, ever give up on the sound of the natural signal and the switches/dials/ and do turn off the digital signal processor to the R75...rarely run it.

What am I missing about owning the SDR gear itself?

Thx!
Marc

815pZcjxuFL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.