• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weird Antenna on fleabay

I wouldn't avoid it. It's not a CB antenna coil as the Flea Bay seller thinks it is. Coilmaster made several coils of different sizes for different bands. They were not bad for what they were and that was basically parts for home brewing your own mobile antennas. Just swap out the coil to change bands. They were a lot more efficient than a Hamstick as well as a lot of other antennas.

Reactions: 1 person
Totally agree Captain. Texas Bugcatcher style coil is considered one of the best there is and although this isn't quite on the same scale its getting there.

This is roughly a 3" diameter coil so its likely to be quite efficient as that's the size they use on the large screwdriver antennas and the coil Q ratings tend to be in the hundreds rather than 50-60 of narrow diameter coils.

Only downside is this could be for any band and you're not going to know without test gear or sucking and seeing. At the very least you're going to want an antenna analyser.

Agreed. If it were me I would install the large coil on a mast about four or five feet tall and then mount a whip on top. Sweep the whole thing for resonance and go from there either adjusting the whip length or removing/tapping the coil turns. Maybe even add a small cap hat just above the coil. Should make for a decent low band HF mobile antenna. Hmmmmmm..........now it has me thinking.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.