• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Well..... Cobra 29-150w LTD????

Chevboy0167

Apr 5, 2017
What say the collective...... Yea or nay???

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Probably better off doing an RFX on it since they are back up for sale in different places. The pic you posted would probably have to be the HG 2879 finals since the Toshiba part is very hard to find and they are running about 200 bucks each right now.

A better option would be to have the Cobra 29 tuned for a 1.5 watt dead key and just run a small amplifier. Here are the new RFX units they have below.

I have installed several of the RFX units on 29s and 25s in the past. Just kinda pokin the bear at this idea.... for now.

I have 4 still good used original 2879s although I see most PA boards like what I got in the pics run a 1446.

But, there are 2 or more versions of this board. 1 runs a BPJ driver that can be upgraded with a MRF 477, 475 or 497.

The other board, which is what I have, runs an IRF520. Could probably drop in something with a little more kick with some tweaking.

Support components may need some adjusting also.

Well Tree, I bought it off eBay from a seller that got it for a repair part for a customers radio. I think the Stryker SR-490 and SR-497HPC used these in the early version.

Yes, it has been sitting around for a few yrs with no radio to call home.

PCBX-0615R5 is what I have. Some info in this video....

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have installed several of the RFX units on 29s and 25s in the past. Just kinda pokin the bear at this idea.... for now.

I have 4 still good used original 2879s although I see most PA boards like what I got in the pics run a 1446.

But, there are 2 or more versions of this board. 1 runs a BPJ driver that can be upgraded with a MRF 477, 475 or 497.

The other board, which is what I have, runs an IRF520. Could probably drop in something with a little more kick with some tweaking.

Support components may need some adjusting also.
Nice.

Probably better off doing an RFX on it since they are back up for sale in different places. The pic you posted would probably have to be the HG 2879 finals since the Toshiba part is very hard to find and they are running about 200 bucks each right now.

A better option would be to have the Cobra 29 tuned for a 1.5 watt dead key and just run a small amplifier. Here are the new RFX units they have below.

That's why I bought the Cobra 29 LTD Comp from R&R. Low dead-key into a two-pill and the two-pill into the ten-pill.

Yeah, I have a few stand-alone amps. Nothing big... 4 pill and smaller. This would be more of a " will it work" experiment and possibly sell it if it last kinda deal.

I got plenty of 29s and I only paid $35 for the board. The 2879 however would be tough to part with.

Gonna be on the lookout for a 1446 to turn the heat down. The Toshiba would be used as test mule for max out if I get it to work at all! LOL

Now.... a D-Rail 29 with variable Bird and this amp board might be fun!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.