• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO “ClearSpeech” DSP Speaker

Does the DS have a carrier bearing? Could hang “wipers”.

I was going to “maybe” solder jumpers on the U-joints. AFTER (stationary) using a temp bond by worm-Drive hose clamp (as with exhaust).

Needs more research.

My Dad had his MOTOROLA RadioTelephone also fitted to our 1966 Ford wagon. The front of the hood was bonded when closed by a curlicue of metal strap. Outer edges turned upwards & serrated for “pointed” contact with that SPRING metal. Copper-coated? (Can’t remember).

May also have been a plate on hood underside for conductive similarity. A few inches starboard of center radiator cap.

I’ve asked around and no one remembers this as factory. I’m pretty sure it was on all his Cadillacs also.

I’ve looked at some MOTOROLA Installation kits online and not seen this. But as Dallas was home of oilmen and seriously high-end DOD radio firms, it’s nit surprising someone knew the extras.

(Truck hood and tailgate app).

Reactions: 2NC995 and S&W357
Hello Slowmover: Thanks for the flowers. A basic description:

The Sonic Cushion is just two parts, a GE-47 light bulb, and a 8 Ohm to 25 Ohm Variable Resistor (A common 8 Ohm L-Pad Variable Pot or resistor will work). The radios external speaker is connected to the GE-47 light bulb, then the resistor out side terminals are also connected to the GE-47. The speaker wires are connected to the ground or shield wire of the GE-47, and the center terminal of the resistor.

When connected start turning the radio volume up until the GE-47 just lights up, have to do with some talking on SSB. As strong stations should now be very close to the volume of distant lower audio loudness stations. The radios volume will be turned up higher than normal. From there adjust the volume and Sonic cushion to your liking.

The GE-47 6.3 Volt light bulb uses a filament type lighting wire element. So when the voltage to the 47 is low the resistance of the bulb is high as compared to a full 6.3 volt the 47 has a lower resistance leveling the SSB audio levels to a reasonable amount.

The GE-47 light bulb uses 6.3 volts at .15 Amps = 42 Ohms at its operating voltage, but at lower voltage it resistance in higher, this variable resistance vs voltage is what levels out the loud local stations, as compared to the distant lower audio level stations.

More later Jay

The Sonic Cushion is just two parts, a GE-47 light bulb, and a 8 Ohm to 25 Ohm Variable Resistor (A common 8 Ohm L-Pad Variable Pot or resistor will work). The radios external speaker is connected to the GE-47 light bulb, then the resistor out side terminals are also connected to the GE-47. The speaker wires are connected to the ground or shield wire of the GE-47, and the center terminal of the resistor.

When connected start turning the radio volume up until the GE-47 just lights up, have to do with some talking on SSB. As strong stations should now be very close to the volume of distant lower audio loudness stations. The radios volume will be turned up higher than normal. From there adjust the volume and Sonic cushion to your liking.

The GE-47 6.3 Volt light bulb uses a filament type lighting wire element. So when the voltage to the 47 is low the resistance of the bulb is high as compared to a full 6.3 volt the 47 has a lower resistance leveling the SSB audio levels to a reasonable amount.

The GE-47 light bulb uses 6.3 volts at .15 Amps = 42 Ohms at its operating voltage, but at lower voltage it resistance in higher, this variable resistance vs voltage is what levels out the loud local stations, as compared to the distant lower audio level stations.

More later Jay

I appreciate your reply to my PM request for more detail. Haven’t ever built a “box”. Those were things I may have tested in rebuilding cars & machinery, or repairs on household items. Didn’t open (sorta).

It’s another layer of understanding.

Guess it’ll be my start. Audibility is the word I’ve been using with myself to think about, “How to Hear”.

— Hear around — and through— noise.

— What is — and isn’t — part of the signal.

Being ignorant of electronics past use isn’t a problem. Just not home enough to start from square one with attendant mistakes is what prompted the request. Being ham-fisted can create those all on its own.

To start from scratch is always a barrier.

Just don’t want to leave the concept on a shelf until “someday”.

As a truck driver, audibility has been boosted in importance by recent events.

Very recent reading about a subject where the outlines were known — but not the specifics of content (I’m referring to freebanding) — makes for further interest in my mobile application.

Thx

Does the DS have a carrier bearing? Could hang “wipers”.

I was going to “maybe” solder jumpers on the U-joints. AFTER (stationary) using a temp bond by worm-Drive hose clamp (as with exhaust).

Needs more research.

My Dad had his MOTOROLA RadioTelephone also fitted to our 1966 Ford wagon. The front of the hood was bonded when closed by a curlicue of metal strap. Outer edges turned upwards & serrated for “pointed” contact with that SPRING metal. Copper-coated? (Can’t remember).

May also have been a plate on hood underside for conductive similarity. A few inches starboard of center radiator cap.

I’ve asked around and no one remembers this as factory. I’m pretty sure it was on all his Cadillacs also.

I’ve looked at some MOTOROLA Installation kits online and not seen this. But as Dallas was home of oilmen and seriously high-end DOD radio firms, it’s nit surprising someone knew the extras.

(Truck hood and tailgate app).

8DB30235-3AEE-4702-B05D-D67F8E170532.jpeg

This is the part I remembered.

Cowl to Hood Ground Strap.

My memory is that it was at the front end of the hood. Mounted on the radiator crossmember. 1960s & 1970s

www.oldparts.com

Part search says 1-3 used. Front and/or rear of hood. Usually broken off or lost. (Note teeth).

Hood
Tailgate
Doors

may all benefit as jumping only the hinges is less than ideal for adequacy. That radiotelephone installation may have had more added.

I’m thinking two for each of above. Jump each hinge, and then these at opposite end.

Pickup truck turbodiesels really do have one thing in common with big trucks, and that’s Big Exhaust Pipe. Something like this “could” work both there and with driveshaft where replaceable woven braid is a wiper.

The other detail I remember is that the strap was copper-ish. Like a wash or coating. But definitely steel as a spring quality.

Was more of a C-shape. The above is a Datsun part (I think).

Last edited:
Working Environment:

This big truck itself is “noisy”, or I’m too close to other sources such that I wonder about the experiences of others. Mobile or Base.

Q: Has anyone experimented with noise reduction treatment to the WM SPKR Audio & DC Power cables?

I’ve added ferrites to each end of both cables (Mix 31), but haven’t investigated the noise sources in this big truck to the extent of knowing just what and where. (A single wrap of a 1/2” i.d. snap-on bead; length-in-use prevents more turns).

Usually when I’m parked it’s too close to external noise sources. And/or I have the APU running. Not representative of being underway.

I’ve also tried a BHI GROUNDBREAKER.
4A5B4C7D-1817-4A17-B1B8-C16E93791903.jpeg

Once home I think I’ll try add & remove of all these if it’s a relatively quiet location & conditions.

The question goes to trying to understand noise on the signal itself versus noise caught by those cables as they run to the speaker.

Last edited:
Just an update with my Speaker...

I find myself more and more comfortable turning up the filtering. Much of this has been just a matter of getting my ears used to a different sound, and hesitance for fear of damaging an already weak signal. But fact is, on the ones I can’t make out there’s nothing to lose by trying a little more filtering. Sometimes it clears them right up, sometimes it doesn’t. Probably no saving the latter.

I was running 9 o’clock all the time, but 10-11 lately...and I try higher as needed.

I’m sitting East a ways of Nashville. Skip a’rollin’.

The WM SPKR makes it easy to adjust RF GAIN & Squelch such that extended listening on either AM-19 or LSB-38 is to my liking.

If I want to sit up and play, kicking in the KL203 pre-amp is itself able to be used effectively. Meaning, to the same standard of comfort. Up to (5) controls to adjust. Not much. No real search. Just adding some English to make the bank shot.

Even though it sounds different AM to SB. Then, changes again with either when Pre-Amp kicked in. “Comfort“ is part of Audibility.

Remember that I have nowhere near the antenna performance many here enjoy.

Hope “you” aren’t sitting on the fence any more regarding a very handy & effective DSP filter for CB/EXPORT.

Last edited:
Reactions: S&W357 and 2NC995

More later Jay

I’m an order list kind of guy. Meaning, if I arrange these parts in a sacred mandala shape, the results will be satisfactory.

Online search for:

General Electric #47
Indicator Lamp

Miniature Incandescent
Miniature Bayonet
1-W
6.3V
1-lumen
T3.25
37F4DB0A-5B61-41C4-94ED-20172302CCA9.jpeg

Miniature Bayonet (BA9s)
Lamp Socket

3CB7BD35-D2FF-4815-A011-1A37A0D53AFD.jpeg
Was easy enough.

(You salvage these out of Dad’s AAF crash boat? The everglowing Detroit Diesel ADD ENGINE OIL alarm panel?).

The next is where I’m likely to take the wrong turn. This is the closest I come.

D3A7AA13-9FD1-4222-A866-F09D34990407.jpeg

Speaker L-Pad Attenuator
Parts Express 260-250 $6.89
15W Mono
1” shaft
8-ohm

(Part of a midrange to tweeter crossover network).

Of course it’s going to need a 1950’s pilot lamp unit from a radio or amplifier to mount in a box. And maybe a more exotic face for the dial.

All aesthetic takes are welcomed.

D464C3B6-D003-4E6A-A2A4-04F6AA74C337.jpeg

Hobbyist tee-niny smoothed cube sounding “right”. Giant cloth-covered cables entering and leaving.

Glare at car next to you.

Then reach thru steering wheel, right?

(Thx)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If from Redneckistan

Add dome lamp
and a TALL lever-operator

chrome

and centered thru steering wheel.

A87063A2-55C1-4FB3-BDF0-C0CE7058E356.jpeg

I weren’t born in Redneckistan,
but I got here as fast as I could.

“ . . so we crashed the gate doin’ ninety-eight; I says, “Let them truckers roll, 10-4”

Last edited:
Put the MFJ 945e tuner in the truck. This is one baaad (not good) antenna mount.

DX86V — RM ITALY KL203P — Palomar Coax Cube Filter — 945e — FT240-31 (9-wrap) choke of Wilson Mini-8 at feedpoint.

One might say SNR is better sharpened by its use. (Likely that’s not an accurate use of the term).

—Turn the radio power all the way up and it’s 1:1 at up to 30W shown.

— Kick in the 203 on low radio power and it’s possible to keep it anywhere under 2:1 with driver power from radio adjusted up/down. (40-90W as shown on cross-needle.)

(The what & why of that I’ll leave separate.)

It is now easier to adjust the EXACT amount of DSP, would be the point.

(A better antenna mount at some point.)

The ClearSpeaker is a good morale boost. Reflects what’s there with detail enhanced. Even small changes are obvious. Not muffled and lost.

Bandaids to a bad antenna mount & location aren’t lost causes, IMO, with a difficult Class 8 composite-body tractor.

Spending to get a little bit more adds up. Way past what many drivers would want.

Yet, the total spent on the complete radio rig is amortized against income losses and reduction of risk (safety). Many hours per day, many days per year, and many years of use changes the calculations about value received.

YMMV

Last edited:
I’m an order list kind of guy. Meaning, if I arrange these parts in a sacred mandala shape, the results will be satisfactory.

Online search for:

General Electric #47
Indicator Lamp

Miniature Incandescent
Miniature Bayonet
1-W
6.3V
1-lumen
T3.25
View attachment 38293

Miniature Bayonet (BA9s)
Lamp Socket

View attachment 38294
Was easy enough.

(You salvage these out of Dad’s AAF crash boat? The everglowing Detroit Diesel ADD ENGINE OIL alarm panel?).

The next is where I’m likely to take the wrong turn. This is the closest I come.

View attachment 38295

Speaker L-Pad Attenuator
Parts Express 260-250 $6.89
15W Mono
1” shaft
8-ohm

(Part of a midrange to tweeter crossover network).

Of course it’s going to need a 1950’s pilot lamp unit from a radio or amplifier to mount in a box. And maybe a more exotic face for the dial.

All aesthetic takes are welcomed.

View attachment 38297

Hobbyist tee-niny smoothed cube sounding “right”. Giant cloth-covered cables entering and leaving.

Glare at car next to you.

Then reach thru steering wheel, right?

(Thx)

This earlier list got the nod of approval. And more info via PM on how to wire (I connect boxes, I don’t open them. Till now).

Okay, slowmover, we got the baby food jar open . . . now hold still”.

Will order the necessary and get to it once at home with more than 48-hours.

Thanks, Jay in the Mojave.

The DSP Speaker also comes into my conversation with 4-5 truck drivers of good acquaintance. Been after each of them for details of their big truck rigs. At home I have a lot of unused gear. So am compiling lists of what to gather, build & buy to meet up with them or mail to their homes. Get the radio rig they have into better shape to the extent I can help (and their own motivation).

From radios to custom power cords to antennas & mounts. All except coax. I’ve got most of it at hand already. Their help to me is long and extensive to list.

In return, I’ve been crooning the magic of this threads subject that they set aside a few dollars to get one.

These are all guys who don’t lose their cool when things get genuinely difficult or flat dangerous.

They are whom you wish to have on the air at those times.
Hope that they will hear you.
As conversations grow in number, so can solutions.

If you’re reading this, include yourself as to being heard.
There are no coincidences.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.