• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO “ClearSpeech” DSP Speaker

Building runs is an idea I hadn't considered. My concern regarding my company is they seem to be going back to Freightliners! I have read that they can present different challenges in regards to radio. There is a rumor that the next batch may be Volvos so who knows?

JD

FL Is easiest.

1). Radio/Amp on dash or seat.
(TAC COMM TRC-2 ; or #1 size)
Rigrunner 4005 on optional panel.
Buckle seat belt around a milk carton and luggage straps to aisle side seat arm.
Hook mike retractor to a D-ring at top left corner of TRC-2.

2). Power on passenger side panel.
(8-AWG ANCOR 8/2 Duplex)
Install Quick Disconnect on Power. About a 1’ pigtail.

— Truck goes for service you can bury the Radio Carrier in the sleeper.

(This is easily 30-40A service)

3). Cophase coax to tilting PRO COMM mounts. (Run behind A-pillars down to door wiring. Use fish tape to get thru. Remove exterior panels and route to come to mirror from engine area. Very neat.)

4). 7’ Skipshooters
— Need antenna feed point chokes.

WM RADIO CLEARSPEECH SPEAKER in bin above drivers door. Velcro & zip tie. Need second or third 6’ audio cable and couplers.

See www.k0bg.com

about wiring specifics (and anything else).

Power has to come UP from either side of fuse center. I trimmed a little. Fuse POS only with right TYPE.

All coax + power + audio in FR split loom.

If you can “see” this picture then the harnesses are dependent on the wiring cover. Best terminations. Joining types where advisable. And all of it with FR zip ties.

The only real trick is understanding the radio is last. Laying out coax + power + audio is the big deal. Each, a separate job. Then joining (if advisable). Secured. Slack and strain relief.

Soeaker & TRC come out of system. Or back in.

Last edited:
2016 VNL 670
I ran a separate coax to my antenna after I upgraded from a stock Uniden PC78 some months back bypassing the antenna multiplexer. I learned the hard way with my 95 KW that you never trust OEM coax! Blew up a highly modified Superstar 120FM radio that I had back then! I prefer to run a single driver's side antenna for simplicity. I highly recommend staying away from stock Volvo antennas. They do work, but the whips and their mounts don't hold up well at all. Passenger side antenna and mount fell off my truck last Friday and my FM radio reception went in the tank! Hello Spotify! It'll be replaced at my next service in a week or so.

JD

If you like the single antenna then you REALLY need to see 4SBs posts.

Got it! It's loosely installed in the truck now. Has a real nice sound to it. I'll fiddle with it some more when I head out tomorrow. Also put the Anytone 6666 in the truck whilst I was down the yard. See how that works compared to the 955. I might just rethink my approach to what I want to do. Maybe go back to what worked for me in years past. Dual final export with low power DK around 1 watt and run a KLV 203 behind it! I seem to remember my Galaxy77/KLV setup (and the Titan Road Pro/KLV) got thru on SSB a bit better than the HR2600 with a bigger final in it! Doc's tuned. MRF 477? 170 watt swing vs 80? The HR2600 sure did hear better though........awesome receive on that radio! Who knows..........food for thought after the rest of the setup is right and tight!

JD

Reactions: Slowmover
Got it! It's loosely installed in the truck now. Has a real nice sound to it. I'll fiddle with it some more when I head out tomorrow. Also put the Anytone 6666 in the truck whilst I was down the yard. See how that works compared to the 955. I might just rethink my approach to what I want to do. Maybe go back to what worked for me in years past. Dual final export with low power DK around 1 watt and run a KLV 203 behind it! I seem to remember my Galaxy77/KLV setup (and the Titan Road Pro/KLV) got thru on SSB a bit better than the HR2600 with a bigger final in it! Doc's tuned. MRF 477? 170 watt swing vs 80? The HR2600 sure did hear better though........awesome receive on that radio! Who knows..........food for thought after the rest of the setup is right and tight!

JD
I'd like to know how those two exact radios compare to you, the 955 and 6666

I'd like to know how those two exact radios compare to you, the 955 and 6666
Well I haven't run the 6666 much at all. Kinda blinded by the bling of the 955! LOL! Don't let the small size of the 6666 fool you. They are very easy to operate, dare I say easier to operate than the 955! The 955 has standard looking controls on the front, but the menus are a bit more of a PIA to get to IMHO! Plus the controls of a 955 look and are bigger, but are fairly close together making it a little difficult for fat fingered folks.....again IMHO. The 6666 is a bit more programmable using the software. You can program the emergency channels to change from say CB CH 19, AM, echo on, NB on, to CB Ch 38, LSB, echo off, NB off, with just a push of the emergency channel button! Shades of the Magnum Radio's memory buttons! If you like to use echo on AM adjusting it is a bit of a chore. You have to adjust pots inside the radio, so no playing with the echo on the fly.
My 6666 was purchased on Flebay from a seller who represented it as tuned and modded by Mark Sherman. Visual inspection shows modifications to the radio that suggest that might be true, but I have no proof to back it up. Using a Ranger 198 microphone the audio is really good which is usually not the case with these without some modification. It does do a nice job and I'm going to give it a good long look this time around. Both radios are comparable in regards to power output. My 955, regrettably has had more than one person in it. Mostly my fault for maybe expecting more from the radio than I should have. My biggest complaint is the receive is too friggin' noisy! Reminds me of a 2950 I had years ago that was the King of white noise!
Hope this helps

JD

Well I haven't run the 6666 much at all. Kinda blinded by the bling of the 955! LOL! Don't let the small size of the 6666 fool you. They are very easy to operate, dare I say easier to operate than the 955! The 955 has standard looking controls on the front, but the menus are a bit more of a PIA to get to IMHO! Plus the controls of a 955 look and are bigger, but are fairly close together making it a little difficult for fat fingered folks.....again IMHO. The 6666 is a bit more programmable using the software. You can program the emergency channels to change from say CB CH 19, AM, echo on, NB on, to CB Ch 38, LSB, echo off, NB off, with just a push of the emergency channel button! Shades of the Magnum Radio's memory buttons! If you like to use echo on AM adjusting it is a bit of a chore. You have to adjust pots inside the radio, so no playing with the echo on the fly.
My 6666 was purchased on Flebay from a seller who represented it as tuned and modded by Mark Sherman. Visual inspection shows modifications to the radio that suggest that might be true, but I have no proof to back it up. Using a Ranger 198 microphone the audio is really good which is usually not the case with these without some modification. It does do a nice job and I'm going to give it a good long look this time around. Both radios are comparable in regards to power output. My 955, regrettably has had more than one person in it. Mostly my fault for maybe expecting more from the radio than I should have. My biggest complaint is the receive is too friggin' noisy! Reminds me of a 2950 I had years ago that was the King of white noise!
Hope this helps

JD
Thanks for that valuable information. I heard a 6666 a couple of days ago for the first time it sounded really great thanks again

Well here's my quick review of this speaker. After hooking it up to my 6666 and fiddling around with radio and speaker volume settings I found I could listen to ch19 with the squelch off and not loose my mind! I need to work with it more to give a final verdict but I'm pleased so far! Alas I had to move into a spare truck today so further observations will have to wait. JD

@Slowmover You were right about this speaker!
This past Tuesday we had a snow storm here in the Buckeye and I was running empty up I-71. I was able to leave the squelch wide open on ch 19 and barely heard any background noise! I did, however, hear conversations and information far off in the distance. It also seems that you almost have to leave the squelch off to let the DSP work on the background noise at all times. Talkback can give the speaker fits, but a little fiddling with settings keeps that at bay.
Can't wait to get my truck back out off the shop to work the speaker some more! Plus this spare truck has an effed up seat in it! Right side arm rest doesn't stay in placed and the seat shock is blown! Gotta ride with no air in the seat so I don't pogo stick around!

JD

@Slowmover You were right about this speaker!
This past Tuesday we had a snow storm here in the Buckeye and I was running empty up I-71. I was able to leave the squelch wide open on ch 19 and barely heard any background noise! I did, however, hear conversations and information far off in the distance. It also seems that you almost have to leave the squelch off to let the DSP work on the background noise at all times. Talkback can give the speaker fits, but a little fiddling with settings keeps that at bay.
Can't wait to get my truck back out off the shop to work the speaker some more! Plus this spare truck has an effed up seat in it! Right side arm rest doesn't stay in placed and the seat shock is blown! Gotta ride with no air in the seat so I don't pogo stick around!

JD

Im over south of shitcago tonight.

Well, when I forked out that $200 6.5-years ago, I can tell you I was on pins & needles. I’d researched this far & wide. It’s aimed at Amateur operators — whose radios exceed ours in performance — but that’s no guarantee it’ll be worth what I paid.

As I’ve related in other posts, I had it in a well-sorted large car. With other drivers where some had known great rigs. But when I could pick up TX farther than they I was thrilled.

Night time across Far West Texas (and north onto the High Plains) is sparsely-populated and ideal for testing distance with a mobile rig.

And

Where you mount the speaker also applies to its effectiveness.

Hearing around the noise is aided by mounting above ones left ear.

Some of those marginal signals need deciphering. The brains right side is that filter. A close thing, at times, where speed in understanding wakes one up to a hazard.

(This is with/without drivers window open).

Only important information is heard from that position (is the reality). It’s not the stereo or phone or some other.

The bonus is that I can leave radio volume lower and pick up TX faster. Quantity, not just Quality.

And it’s less irritating when I have the Spotify playlist in use. I use a BLUE TIGER headset over the right ear in phone calls. So, CB radio external speaker position is part of A System (of what the driver is engaged with aurally).

I use HD VELCRO on speakers stand and on overhead bin. Then zip-ties around elastic cords.

My current mount (overhead center console) is temporary until I order a custom cable long enough to wrap on some snap toroids at each end. And a shielded power set. (I’m adding insurance, not “necessary” in sense of required upgrades).

Last edited:
Im over south of shitcago tonight.

Well, when I forked out that $200 6.5-years ago, I can tell you I was on pins & needles. I’d researched this far & wide. It’s aimed at Amateur operators — whose radios exceed ours in performance — but that’s no guarantee it’ll be worth what I paid.

As I’ve related in other posts, I had it in a well-sorted large car. With other drivers where some had known great rigs. But when I could pick up TX farther than they I was thrilled.

Night time across Far West Texas (and north onto the High Plains) is sparsely-populated and ideal for testing distance with a mobile rig.

And

Where you mount the speaker also applies to its effectiveness.

Hearing around the noise is aided by mounting above ones left ear.

Some of those marginal signals need deciphering. The brains right side is that filter. A close thing, at times, where speed in understanding wakes one up to a hazard.

(This is with/without drivers window open).

Only important information is heard from that position (is the reality). It’s not the stereo or phone or some other.

The bonus is that I can leave radio volume lower and pick up TX faster. Quantity, not just Quality.

I use HD VELCRO on speakers stand and on overhead bin. Then zip-ties around elastic cords.

My current mount (overhead center console) is temporary until I order a custom cable long enough to wrap on some snap toroids at each end. And a shielded power set. (I’m adding insurance, not “necessary” in sense of required upgrades).

I had a 95 KW T-800 that I bought new and it came with a factory CB external speaker mounted by the drivers left ear! The best external speaker setup I ever had! JD

Yes. It’s Science!
Yeah I was looking around the old Volvo yesterday and mounting the speaker near my left ear isn't going to be easy! Windshield curtains may be the biggest issue! Not doing without those! Oh well....gonna be until next week before I get my truck back! Uniden PC 78 getting some use right now!

aanaAntennas aren't good on this truckWTF! with the keyboard on this site!JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.