• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What advantages does a Wouxun KG-UD1P have for being setup as "commercial"?

JohnnyScience

Jun 10, 2011
I'm about to pull the trigger on this Wouxun deal:

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Handheld Special Offer! $129.95 Shipped w Software & Programming Cable | MTC

I spoke with the guy briefly & he mentioned that they arent selling these as "regular hams", but they are "cracked" to be commercial? (He didnt use the term cracked, I used that, but that's how it came across)

What exactly does that mean & what advantages does that bring to the table vs a regular HAM Wouxun?

They also sell a DX1 HI Gain Antenna for this model, do you think that's a good antenna, or do you think the Diamond 2M/440 antenna is a better choice?

http://www.maintradingcompany.com/c...YT-and-more-w-SMA-Female-FREE-SHIPPING%21.197

It's only a difference of a few dollars between the two antennas & I'd prefer to have the better antenna.

Does their HI Gain antenna do the 2m & 440?

If I do get the DX1 HI gain Antenna or the Diamond, do I need any kind of antenna adapter? If so, which one?

Thanks.

Find out what frequency range that he's selling the radios with. My guess is that he's just selling them opened up for transmit for as wide a frequency range as they will go. If you buy one like that, make sure you remember the band limits because nothing will prevent you from transmitting out of band except your brain.

Find out what frequency range that he's selling the radios with. My guess is that he's just selling them opened up for transmit for as wide a frequency range as they will go. If you buy one like that, make sure you remember the band limits because nothing will prevent you from transmitting out of band except your brain.

Aren't these FCC accepted part 90(?) radios? I actually bought one from Hong Kong and used the program you uploaded to the site to unlock the UVD1P to restrict it only to the US amateur bands, here is the post you uploaded the unlock program to: http://www.worldwidedx.com/radio-radio-related-modifications/62063-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-software-mod.html

It worked and I don't have to worry about monitoring the local police freqs and hitting the PTT by mistake

Just an FYI, that's two models ago... KG-UD3D's are available now for the same price and if you feel the need to "open it up" to the extended frequencies, it takes all of 3 minutes to do by simply hooking it up to your computer and uploading a file.

I heard that the KG-UD1P's were going for $79 or $89 at the Dayton Show.

Just an FYI, that's two models ago... KG-UD3D's are available now for the same price and if you feel the need to "open it up" to the extended frequencies, it takes all of 3 minutes to do by simply hooking it up to your computer and uploading a file.

I heard that the KG-UD1P's were going for $79 or $89 at the Dayton Show.

Yeah, but from what I was told the KG-UD1P cases were more durable than the newer models?

And I guess I dont really understand what "opening it up" for the commercial frequencies will do for me? Can someone break it down Barney-style for me what benefits I would get from ordering the "commercial" one from MTC that I linked to in my first post?

Thanks.

The Wouxun series of dual band (VHF/UHF) radios can also be used on the commercial bands, they are certified for that. They also cover more than just the normal ham bands, the band edge limit 'doors' can be 'opened up' allowing out of band use. Basically means you can go where you shouldn't be going, depending on your license.

If you have a use for the Part-90 certification, being 'legal' on the commercial bands, then they have the advantage of being much cheaper than the typical commercial radio (Motorola for instance). If you don't have that need, then the Wouxuns have no advantages other than being less expensive.

Which antenna to get? First, try the one that comes with the radio, it's not all that bad, really. Another 'trick' is just to add a 'tail' to the existing antenna making it into a "dipole". Really, just adds a counterpoise closer to the 'right' length instead of using the radio's chassis. Might cost you all of 15 cents!

Two 'accessories' that are really handy are the programming software and cable, and an SMA to UHF or BNC adaptor. The software makes programming less confusing. The antenna adaptor also allows a much wider selection of antennas, fixed or portable. (And I hate SMA connectors! Can't install them.)

And probably the bestest extra feature the Wouxun's have is that LED built-in flashlight!! I don't know how I ever managed to survive with out it. And the FM broadcast band thingy too. ... and if you believe any of this last part, I got this large boat for sale...
- 'Doc

Oh, about the cases. None of them are built like a 'tank', not water proof, and there are various 'styles'. Not a biggy as far as I'm concerned, YMMV. They are good, no frills/extras radios.

Wouxun supplied the software to do that 'unlocking'. It isn't a part of the supplied software with the radio, but it 'was' available several months ago, sorry no idea about now. Several of the USA dealers had the software, you might ask one of them, or go look at Wouxun's web site. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.