1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

What amp?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Rickryder, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Rickryder

Rickryder Member

Thanks for all the information on the amps. I really do appreciate it. I’m just getting back into the radio world after 40 years. Amps are new to me so I’m doing my best to understand what I need to do before making bad decisions. I’ve already bought a pair of kl 203’s overdriven them ... repaired one bought a kl 300 and that one is doing good so far.

my plan is putting the 300 in my truck with the galaxy dx 979 f and getting the bigger amp for the base station, galaxy dx 2547 with a hy-gain sp 500 about 75’ off the ground.
    The new kl 300 was actually a used unit so I contacted the seller and they are working a deal on a kl 703 for my inconvenience..... we’ll see what they kick back lol.

The CarlBuilt sounds like a nice unit !

2. magnuman

magnuman Well-Known Member

The 703 is a well built amp and the power transistors are cheap if you do blow it up.
    Its the biggest of the lot.
    If it will fit in your car and suits your budget, then that's the one to get.

Rickryder and 86lidewell like this.
  3. Rickryder

Rickryder Member

It’s going on the base station so size is not an issue :)

4. 86lidewell

86lidewell Active Member

I'm really impressed with it. Since it's a high drive, you do need 20-30w to get to ~500pep, but most of my radios will do that. The way the fans work is very nice, (spin up on key down). It is huge!

5. magnuman

magnuman Well-Known Member

6. Rickryder

Rickryder Member

Do you know how many amp power supply is needed for the CarlBuilt?

7. NightThumper

NightThumper Sr. Member

No less than a 50 amp supply dedicated only to the CarlBuilt. I have two Astron VS 70 power supplies. At the very least I would purchase two Megawatt power supplies model S-700-12 run in parallel giving you 100 amps total capacity. The harder you drive the amplifier the higher the current/amperage draw. Also no less than 8 gauge wire.

8. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

I don't want people to get confused though when you say this. It's a great amp to run on a base setup with a power supply. When you call it a "base amplifier" people might assume it's a plug in the wall base style amplifier which it's not. Now if they make two versions, base and mobile then I stand corrected.

9. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

As a general rule you can figure a 10 amp draw for every 100 watts of power. So if an amp builder is claiming 500 watts output then plan on at least 50 amps. I would also factor in 20-30% extra form some head room. So in the above example I would go with at least a 70 amp power supply. Also by lowering the input drive some and not running the amp wide open you can lower the amperage draw. Your mileage may vary depending on what mode you talk on. (AM,FM,SSB)

unit_399 likes this.
  10. lonestarbandit

lonestarbandit 4-2-9 Central TX

I just put an order in with Nate "Hopper" for a 4 x 2879 HG base amp biased for class B I left out preamp as either of my small mobile amps can run on the 50 amp ps I have as a driver and either of those have a preamp.
    I will say however the base factor and biasing bumps the price. I think it was 820.00 vs a 4 pill mobile. But the base box uses 3 switchers and I beleive they are 40 amps ea. This will drop with voltage and draw so 90-120amp must be required for the 4x2879. I have also heard (only heard no hard proof) to stay away from DEI and that TX Star is building with those and FAKE toshibas which are relabeled DEI I beleive. Nate said he's 3-4 weeks behind due to waiting for PS from overseas so I wont have a operational report for a while.
    I will say this. I texted Donkey stomper. Never a response. I texted Carl built. Never an answer. I texted "hopper" after seeing 2 of hoppers earlier boxes being repaired by Bbi and describing what was good and what had been changed by Nate as he grew as a builder and the PS crap affecting everyone (builders).
    I felt comfortable with Nates build quality based on this and a couple of nates own videos. Anyway....HOPPER answered both of my texts within 10 min. The other guys never did. And to me, that counts for something.
    I am not going to battle to give you nearly a grand of my money. I wont keep trying I'll walk to the next option. Had I found nate 1st I could have saved a lot of time and effort.
    Will let y'all know how it goes once he gets the supplies and built and shipped.

Big Al 413, S&W357, Slowmover and 2 others like this.
  11. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Nate is a great guy. He will always respond to inquiries in a timely manner and is always happy to help if you have any questions or concerns. You will not be disappointed in your new box. I have ten (yikes) hopper boxes and love every one of them.

12. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Nate was under Fatboy's wing. Don't know about right now though.

lonestarbandit likes this.
  13. lonestarbandit

As far as I know, yes. And believe he now works for ICA manufacturing (the case guys) that supply parts and cases to the major builders. (Least that was the scuttlebutt)

*edit was 880.00 w shipping got it wrong earlier my bad*

https://www.icamanufacturing.com/Cabinets

#28 lonestarbandit, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  14. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Nate is self employed but is partnered up with Anthony from ica.

lonestarbandit likes this.
  15. lonestarbandit

Typical scuttlebutt only half right at best.