• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What antenna set-up for a fibreglass roofed campervan?

Kitesurfer

Aug 10, 2005
First of all hello. I'll be here for the duration so this isn't a fleeting visit with one question!

I have a VW campervan with a fibreglass roof which in turn has a stainless steel rail on the back.

Picture002.jpg

Question is, what's the best way of mounting an antenna?
On the rail with an electronic groundplane?
On the rail with a bonding strap to the rear ladders?
On the rail and have wires running inside from the rail to the bodywork?
A gutter mount? The underside of the gutter is metal and I'm thinking maybe a gutter mount could be dis-assembled and re-assembled to have the nech facing out avoiding the plastic roof? If this is possible where on the gutter?

It's to run a President lincoln and I have no antenna at present.

Your input would be greatfully recieved everyone and I'll thank you in advance for any replies.

Regards.

KS.

KS,

If your not adverse to drilling a hole, I would suggest mounting a ball joint on one of the upper rear quarter panels and use a 102 inch whip on it. I would think that this would provide a sufficient ground for the antenna and if not, some extra grounding from the chasis to frame would take care of any grounding issues. I haven't used any of the "no-ground" antennas so I can't speak to their performance.

73's! :D

As stated you might try a 102 or a 8 foot francis you will have to do some grounding to make it work properly... other than that a NO GROUND WILSON is prolly your only other option..

Kitesurfer,
One suggestion is to 'glue' a 'groundplane' to the inside of the
fibreglass shell (if you can reach it with little problem), and connect that 'groundplane' as the antenna's ground. Won't hurt if the whole thing is grounded to the vehicle body, either. Metal foil of some type (as long as it's conductive) works okay, wire does too.
Another suggestion is to mount an antenna to the metal part of the vehicle's body. You might loose a little height but it won't make a lot of difference.
Good luck...
- 'Doc

Could always use a mirror mount bracket on one of the top ladder wrung. The body is sheet metal, right?

Thanks people. I'm fitting the radio this week along with a television so I'll let you know how I get on.

The ladder/mirror bracket sounds good with the chicken mesh far too much work having to take the lining down.

I'll get started this week and keep you informed.

KS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.