• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile what coax for mobile install

cdj85

Jun 11, 2023
I was just curious what you guys prefer for a mobile install? Right now I have Belden RG58. I may have to lower the headliner to remove the puck in order to repaint the roof since the paint has flaked off. I have about 20 feet of RG 142 double shielded coax from harbour industries and was wondering if I should just go ahead and replace it with that.

RG 142 is some quality coax but it's designed for very high frequencies up into the gigahertz ranges.

It is 50 ohm so it can work for your mobile antenna.

It sounds like you'll be using a roof mount antenna.

For CB frequencies, RG8x is the more popular coax for mobile use. It's a bit thicker than RG58 and more durable and has better loss spec's and higher power ratings.

Given the choice between what you have, I would go with the RG142.

Unless you're running more than a couple hundred watts, RG58 will work just fine for a mobile install.
You could use more expensive coax but you won't hear any difference on receive or transmit as the cable length is short........
Just make sure it's a quality brand of cable and connectors are properly installed

That RG-142 is solid core, so it is not as flexible and might become an issue if it moves around a lot (it will work harden and break faster under constant bending). I made the mistake of buying that instead of RG-400 for my bench jumpers. RG-400 is almost identical to 142, but it has a braided center conductor. LMR-240 is good stuff too and IIRC about half the price as RG400. If I had to replace the one in my truck, I would also go with LMR240

I was looking at tge carl built 1x4 amp which I'm guessing may be pushing the limit of rg58 so maybe I will swap to 142. I ran it in another pickup and has been fine so far.

As Fourstring says,
If you already have the 142 and it's long enough just use it.
It's more than good stuff and you already have it.
As long as it has the proper connectors on it's rated for 2kw at 50 Mhz I think.
Even more on 27, and the loss in a 20 foot run is nothing.
Secure it so it's not flopping around you should be fine.

Curious what radio are you using for the 2x4?

Jeff

I have a cobra 29 in this truck and a pc78 in the other one. Haven't decided which one will get the 1x4 when I decide to get it though.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.