• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What equipment to buy for a newbie???

DMC12

Jul 19, 2005
I just received my Tech license and need help on what equipment to get me started..What to buy and the cost..any suggestions would be great.

Thank You,
Chuck.

well it all depends on how much u want to spend.. but i wouod go with the icom 706mkgII an tri band stick an a 70cm beam that there would take care of everything for the tech.. the radio will covewr all but u just have to get different ANTS> to run it..

DMC12 Hello and CONGRATS on your new privileges.
Now for your question,more info is needed. Mobile or base ops?What is your interest with ham radio FM repeaters,DXing,Digital.

If you plan on upgrading in the future you might want to consider any HF/VHF/UHF rig.Both Yaesu and Icom have rigs that would cost between $500 and $850 used. However additional equipment will be needed such as power
supply,feedline,antenna,swr meter and misc.stuff for grounding and antenna mast.

Some of the more popular radios right now are Icoms 706mIIg,Yaesu ft857d and Yaesu ft-897.But there are many older radios still on the market today that compare to todays newer rigs.

DMC12 here is a couple if links,check out www.rigpix.com and www.eham.net/reviews/ this could help in deciding which radio to buy.
73,Stu

novakor,

Thank You! And I can't wait to get started..

I want to install a base operations and would like to be able to use repeaters, DXing and digital. Like you said, I want to be able to upgrade as I get more comfortable in Ham radio.

Someone said an ICOM IC-746 or IC746 Pro would be a good one to purchase and would cover 160m to 2m CW,SSB,FM,AM. I would like to budget about $2000.00 for everything. My biggest concern is the antenna. I have my old TV tower or a chimney to hook it to. I'm so green when it comes to this equipment and it is a bit overwelming! Trapshooting is easier to understand! LOL

Thanks for the websites and any more info would be great.

Chuck

Hello Chuck,
No problem thats what this forum is all about.Now with a $2000
budget you should be able to get started.

I have already mentioned some rigs to look out for earlier, if your interested in Icom's 746 or 746 pro this too would be a great start. I know some of our forum members, Moleculo and Duckilla both have these rigs and are very happy with them. However they do not have the 70cm band where as the above mentioned rigs do.

Chuck here is some links of ham radio stores where you can shop and price as well as request catalogs. These sites can help you decide on rigs,antennas and other ham radio related gear. Don't forget to request catalogs,there free.

www.burghardt-amateur.com/Burghardt/HTML/main_frame.html

www.hamradio.com/

www.aesham.com/index.html

73,Stu

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.