• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What have YOU done to eliminate RFI in your mobile?

romakdaddy

Jul 2, 2009
my elantra has (had) bad fuel pump and cooling fan noise.i simply wired capacitors(condensers) to the suspect part and lo-and-behold...no more noise.the fan noise was so bad i had to leave my ac off to use my mobile...not fun in the humid south.im also running a wilson 5000 magnet mount but my fix helped alot.

My ford,,,,, toroid coils on the fuel pump wires, ferrite beads on the coil on plugs, ferrite plugs on the cooling fans and using the battery as a power source.
Now it is almost as quiet as my chevy but I trust my Ford.

upgraded all my ground connections. ie, bigger wire, and adding a few more grounds, keep singal wires/cable away from power wires and built the simple noise filter as described in the homebrew section ( I think it's a sticky even). My mobile is very quiet, don't even have the dreaded wiper noise. I also run all my power off of a stinger SP680 cap(don't know if that helps).

Some vehicles are just worse then others. All you can do is address the noise at the source. Sounds like you and the guys have it solved.

Disconnect your coax if the noise goes away the interference is getting picked up by your antenna and there not much you can do about it, the ideas above may help.

If the noise is still there you can work on the power feeding your radio, isolation transformers, filtering caps, ceramic caps going to ground to bleed off AC. You might have to try different radios I have found the Sound Tracker Cobras are about the best for high vehicle noise.

Ferrite on the power wires, fuel pump and alternator is not going to work right unless you get the correct ferrite for the frequency your trying to filter out.

Funny thing about the antenna noise. My car got quite when the antenna was disconnected. Did the torrid and everything else to no avail.
Finally tried the filter on the power and was quiet. Started removing coils.
Was the feed all along. One in a million

to stop common mode currents getting into the car you can wrap your coax into a coil/choke just like some people do on thier base.

Yep, he's serious, and it works, contrary to what you may hear otherwise. Also, by-passing electric motors/devices can cut down on radiated noise picked up by the antenna.
- 'Doc

I was getting some really bad windshield wiper motor noise in my 2002 Ford SportTrac. I placed a bonding strap from the exhaust pipe to the frame just in front of the cat converter and another one from the tailpipe to the frame behind the muffler using ¾ inch grounding strap material. The wiper motor was completely eliminated. I was happily surprised.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.