• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT IS BEST WAY TO STOP MIC SQUEAL ?

Tripple Nickel

Jun 21, 2013
Monroe, Georgia USA
Uniden Washington Base with Amplified D-104 . Is it best to turn radio MIC GAIN down 1st, adjust the MIC to acceptable level, then FINE TUNE with radio mic gain ? I had it written down somewhere but don't know where. Someone said it sounded low, so I started on the MIC adjustment and forgot where it's been for quite sometime. Modulation is very good, just the squeal!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks for your input guy's.
David g.

Reactions: Sonar

is the radio a 4 pin or 5 pin?if it is a 5 pin you may not have the grounds in the right position.

the way I do my d104 mics is put the radio control about 12 or 1 o'clock. then start to turn the mic amp up slowly. I never have my D104 mics over about 1/4 way open. after the audio gets about right you can then finish with the radio control to fine tune it. but make sure if it is a 5 pin that you have the mic ground wires in the proper placement. if the 2 grounds are together on a D104 on the 5 pin you can get a TX squeal.
one other thing is the squeal coming back to you or is it a squeal to the receiving radio. if so do you have talk back on the radio.

Reactions: Robb
is the radio a 4 pin or 5 pin?if it is a 5 pin you may not have the grounds in the right position.

the way I do my d104 mics is put the radio control about 12 or 1 o'clock. then start to turn the mic amp up slowly. I never have my D104 mics over about 1/4 way open. after the audio gets about right you can then finish with the radio control to fine tune it. but make sure if it is a 5 pin that you have the mic ground wires in the proper placement. if the 2 grounds are together on a D104 on the 5 pin you can get a TX squeal.
one other thing is the squeal coming back to you or is it a squeal to the receiving radio. if so do you have talk back on the radio.

The Washington is a 5 pin with a 4 pin adapter(Redman's). If I turn the mic 1/4 turn with the radio gain to 12-1:00, I get no squeal, anything further than 3 o'clock it squeals.
I found this radio (phillippines) in a yard sale a few years ago, I've never had the cover off and I don't know if it has talkback or not. There are no switches or toggle's except factory ones. Do you have correct mic wiring # 's ? you think that could be part of the problem ? Thanks for the reply. 3's to you/yours.
David g.

I do not know what the wiring should be with out having my hands on the mic. I would open it up and find the mic shield and put it on the proper pin for a 5 pin mic. then search the other ground out that goes to the board. if you get rid of the 4 pin adapter and put a regular 5 pin plug on it with the 2 grounds positioned properly you may get rid of your problem.
after thinking about what you said about talk back, sounds like you are getting the squeal coming out of your speaker also. not just on the TX line. proper grounding helps this.
you can check the plug on the radio for the board ground. off the top of my head the board ground is usually a black or blue wire. depends on how some one wired the mic.

Reactions: Tripple Nickel
I do not know what the wiring should be with out having my hands on the mic. I would open it up and find the mic shield and put it on the proper pin for a 5 pin mic. then search the other ground out that goes to the board. if you get rid of the 4 pin adapter and put a regular 5 pin plug on it with the 2 grounds positioned properly you may get rid of your problem.
after thinking about what you said about talk back, sounds like you are getting the squeal coming out of your speaker also. not just on the TX line. proper grounding helps this.
you can check the plug on the radio for the board ground. off the top of my head the board ground is usually a black or blue wire. depends on how some one wired the mic.

I will try the original hand mic(5 wire) and see what happens, could all be the adapter.

You might need to add or replace .01 uf bypass caps, sounds like some voltage is getting into the audio. This happened with my turner plus 3. Check out video at 7.28 min on video for 5-pin by-pass caps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
UPDATE!!!!!!Thanks for the input, I took the D 104 (which had a 5 to 4 wire adapter) from the radio and changed to original mic, nothing else and the squeal is gone. I noticed before that moving the mic back/forth to radio would reduce the noise. It must have something to do with the adapter or something, but it's gone.

Uniden Washington Base with Amplified D-104 . Is it best to turn radio MIC GAIN down 1st, adjust the MIC to acceptable level, then FINE TUNE with radio mic gain ? I had it written down somewhere but don't know where. Someone said it sounded low, so I started on the MIC adjustment and forgot where it's been for quite sometime. Modulation is very good, just the squeal!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks for your input guy's.
David g.
I could turn the audio gain on my madison and silver eagle all the way up without it ever squealing.
Of course i would never operate with the mic and rigs gain turned all the way up.
I'm just saying it doesn't cause any squealing with both turned full up.
Maybe that shouldn't be the case but if it is it's possible you've got a wiring issue.
Good luck. 73

I usually just crack d104s off min. Then slowly turn up mic gain on radio and watch watt meter. When power starts climbing from fan noise on amp I back it off a fuzz. Usually end up at 11 or 12:00 on radios when doing this.

Sonoma, I really appreciate you walking me through this. I took the D104 off and put the original mic on, and no problem, so I knew there was something wrong, either the adapter or wiring. The white wire was loose in the solder joint so I redid it put in b ack on and adjusted the radio mic gain to about 3 o'clock, barely cracked the mic volume pot barely open, all seems well. I've never had the top off on this radio, so I don't know about the talkback you asked about. When I key the mic I get one small plunk, that's all. Amps/modulation barefotted and power seem fine with good swr. My mic wiring is somewhat different than you mentioned.
1 blue/shield
2 white
3 red
4 black
5 yellow nc
I bought it wired this way, is it correct ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.