• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the "Plate" on a tube radio?

The plate is also called the anode. It is the tube element that gets connected directly to the high voltage supply and attracts the electrons. It is where the output of the tube is taken from.It is typically the largest element in a tube.

is this the same "plate" that people are referring to when they talk about "plate modulation" ?

Well see what I am trying to do is run a signal into a AM Braodcast band receiver an use the RF leakage as a transmitter, like if you put another AM radio right near it and tune it to the same frequency one of the radios goes quiet...

I know it sounds crazy, but I ain't the one who came up with it, I can provide a link to clarify things if needed...

T23

Well see what I am trying to do is run a signal into a AM Braodcast band receiver an use the RF leakage as a transmitter, like if you put another AM radio right near it and tune it to the same frequency one of the radios goes quiet...

I know it sounds crazy, but I ain't the one who came up with it, I can provide a link to clarify things if needed...

T23

It's not crazy but you are probably expecting better results then are possible here. The oscillator in the tuning stage of the receiver will generate a small signal that is offset from the tuned frequency by 455 KHz. One of the first rules of deciding where to apply modulation is to always avoid directly modulating an oscillator stage. Any changes from varying the plate voltage with audio to adding an antenna to the oscillator will cause noticeable frequency shift. If you try to amplitude modulate the oscillator you are likely to end up with as much frequency modulation as amplitude. The oscillator stage must be modulated after a buffer stage to prevent frequency drift. Unfortunately that's not the way the broadcast receiver is designed. The oscillator is followed by a mixer to feed the 455 KHz IF strip. For safety reasons, don't forget the plate also has high DC voltage on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.