• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is this antenna?

2Eight0

Jul 4, 2012
P7170369.jpg
I was given this with a bunch of other crap from a guy at work. I was going to cut the coax off it and add the antenna to my junk box. I decieded to hook it up and see if it tuned to cb. Oddly enough It did with very good SWR readings 1/40. The ears on it were actually decent as well. Skip wasnt rolling to heavely but It was picking up the same mess as my wilson 1000 at the time. This sure would be alot more stealthy at 14" in height total base and all.

I have seen them before, they do work, not as well as a longer antenna, but they will work.
I think if you wait until the skip dies off in the evening and find a local contact to do some back and forth with the wilson with you will find that the wilson will TX better just because it is longer.
Stick it in your tool box for when a friend/family comes around and you guys want to talk mobile to mobile going to the lake or something.....need to find a little cheap cb to go with it.
I have a old radio shack mag mount and a push button midland radio I keep around just for that.
Good for a mile or two.

have fun
Jeff

Yep! That's exactly the antenna you always get in a pile of CB crap right down to the layer or dirt! You'll never use it because it's crap (an HF rubber duck...I.e, ...a dummy load) but you will stick it somewhere and move it around every year or so until one day you get rid of it in a pile of crap you give or sell to someone else. Then the cycle starts again.

I've had three of them. :)

Reactions: 1 person
I have one of those in my antenna collection I ran my HR-2510 through it when moving back into Wi from SD I hooked it up as a portable in a uUhaul truck and it worked great for what ist is and its size.

I appreciate all the comebacks. I wasn't sure if it was cb or not. I try to understand 1/4 wave, 1/2 5/8 full wave and all the jazz and noticed this looked more like a length for a 2 meter ham thing. I knew it tuned but heck I knew ive done more than one thing wrong in my life. I like the idea of a dummy load if it would really work. Id string it into the attic and use it for that reason. I Only have a mobile and don't care much to have a base but it would be nice to be able to solder on something reach over hook it up and test it. rather than carry it out to the car unhook everything and blah blah blah. it is really a hassle. I need nothing special but dummyload.
Ive been beating myself up over building a dipole for this reason ordered pl259's, got 12ga wire, got everything I need but cant seem to figure out how I want to connect it. I like to search things out before posting new threads but ive yet to find a explanation on the connector and connecting coax. enough rambling

looks like an old bullwhip/hustler/valor/modulator style rip off. theres been hundreds like it, all work reasonably well for their low cost. usually handle a couple of hundred watts and give decent swr across about 100+ channels, whips are generally about 48" long or thereabouts. just a basic base loaded 1/4 wave, no more no less, ideal back up to carry should your main twig fail.

Reactions: 1 person
The tip or ball at the top should unscrew for tuning if I remember right theres a locknut on that tip to tighten it in place after tuning. Ill have to look at mine but I believe mines a Valor or a Hustler.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.