• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your fave 23 ch transistor rig?

I like this old Pearce Simpson. I picked it up for free from a guy who worked at a stereo shop, after he found it in the trash. :eek: Still works great, and the meter glows red when you key it up. (y) I added channels via crystals to it, and can agree with Unit 399... it ain't cheap!

Brett

Reactions: 2 people
For mobile use, I really like my GEMTRONICS GTX-2325 AM/SSB. Kinda plain Jane without a lot of bells and whistles. but still a solid performer. Nice bassy audio and good power from 1306/1307 driver/final combo. Best noise blanker I've had for mobile operation. Drawback: Crystal controlled ... so channel expansion was a pain. It was my 1st SSB rig, and I liked it so much I still have it.

View attachment 13730

Probably built like a Tank?

Trusted Friends

I fell in love with the Tram XL5 Sadly I sold her many years ago...Wish I could find another one.
Also the Courier Gladiator PLL also I sold years ago
My Pearce Simpson Cheetah SSB2 I still have her.. Unmolested !
And My Pearce Simpson Bengal SSB base unit also unmolested.

Reactions: 1 person
In retrospect:

Perspective.

It is interesting to see the changes over time. Basic radios with relatively simple features went for $150.00 in 1967. Today, you can buy a radio with comparable basic features - like a Uniden 510XL - for $40.00. Option 2 lets you purchase a full feature, loaded Uniden 980 SSB for $137.00 - less than that 25 (not 23) channel Lafayette in 1967. To top it off, those 1967 dollars were worth a heck of a lot more than today's dollars.

Hmmm... I'm having a tough time deciding between a Tram Diamond 60 and a (pre-Roadtalker) Sears SSB as my favorite 23 channel transistor rig from yesteryear.

The D-60 was built like a tank, sounded good, had a good receiver, and was just an excellent all-around radio. Loved it!

The Sears SSB was also a good radio. I golden screwdrivered the poor thing to death, though. I tried to move its transmit (and receive) frequency 10 kHz down from Channel 16 so I could operate on 27.145 with the Spartan group out of the (U.S.) West Coast. At the time, I had no test equipment, nor proper parts to do the job correctly. The last memory of it was case off, power supply hanging loose, various wires and capacitors dangling off the board, and a cloud of smoke.

I found another on eBay years later. I haven't blown it up. ...Yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.