• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your typical noise level?

Even with all power off in my house I have a solid S5-S7 with both the President Lincoln II + V4 and the Anytone AT-5555N II on a Maco V58 antenna. I'm not near any above ground power lines and live out in the sticks a bit. I'm just thinking back to when I was a kid in the late 1970s and I could hear local folks a long ways away (40-50 miles some times) because the noise level was 0.0. They would not even move the needle but I could just barely make out their voice. Maybe the radios were just a lot less sensitive then too.

Reactions: Rwb
cept when 1 of the wind towers screw up,its so quiet you have to look at radio to see if its on. both my lincoln vii+ and galaxy 99v. either sirio 2008 or a 99 dont matter

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
If you are using a switching power supply that may be the source of your noise. I had to add some ferrite chokes to mine as it was giving me an s3 of switching noise.View attachment 61958
haha at our christmas party our radio club gift i got was a huge bag full o ferrite beads all sizes. might need em some day.
only time i hear noise beside windtowers is a car with bad ignition going by buzzing into my radio

Last edited:
haha at our christmas party our radio club gift i got was a huge bag full o ferrite beads all sizes. might need em some day.
only time i hear noise beside windtoers is a car with bad ignition going by buzzing into my radio
very good gift. I just orderd a bunch of type 43 ferrite toroids to filter out noise on our first 2 pill 2879c base box. The thing walks the dog it is ab biased and low pass filtered doing about 200 swinging 600 peak. but the two switchers inside are too noisy so common mode filter it is.

Reactions: Chipmunk and Rwb
If you are using a switching power supply that may be the source of your noise. I had to add some ferrite chokes to mine as it was giving me an s3 of switching noise.View attachment 61958

When I had the main breaker for the house turned off a few weeks ago, I hooked the radio up to a spare 12 volt battery I had in the garage and had the same general level of noise as with the house power on.

I've decided this noise is just a byproduct of the modern world, one of many things that are no longer as they were in 1978. I can't control it so I will just enjoy what I can hear above that base noise level. I did notice it is getting down to S3 at times on both my President Lincoln II + and Anytone AT-5555N II so that's progress.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated